So.. I am a bag maker. I sew leather on machine only, I've never really done hand stitching. I've never made anything for any kind of knife. That said, my sister asked me for a sheath for her machete for christmas. Of course I'm late to the game on this one, but all I have to go by is a tracing I made of it. I guess I don't really understand how inserting and removing the machete would not cut the stitches? Also, she wants to wear it across her back. And she is right handed, so I'm trying to "naturally" grab for my massive machete behind me, and I cant figure out if you would grab it from behind your right shoulder, or cross your face to take it from your left side? 

Is this even possible to make with just a tracing or am I nuts for thinking of giving it a go?

This could end up being a very challenging project, without the knife and person present, mainly due to figuring out the straps. However, if you are the same size as your sister, you can use yourself as a model.

The sheath itself should probably not be too difficult since you have a tracing. I would imagine that this should be made of a stiff, thick, veg tan leather, nothing soft.

To prevent the machete from cutting the stitching, a welt is used. It is a middle layer between the front and back of the sheath. It would be maybe 1/4" wide, running the length of the blade.

Accessing the machete will likely be from below, rather than over the shoulder, at least, that is what is shown in these two examples that I found.

I just googled "machete back sheath" and got a couple of hits.

https://sunrisecustomknives.com/9-adjustable-shoulder-harness/

On this next one, I did not want to post this video, just the link, but I cannot seem to get rid of it.

Good luck.

nick

use a welt so the blade doesn't cut the thread. I think how she were to wear it would decide that, the strap could do either shouldn't be a problem. 

great advice, thank you!!

Search YouTube for 'Making a sheath for a machete' and 'Making a leather knife sheath'. There are lots of videos, watch a few to get the general methods of construction, then adapt it to suit what you want

Thank you!!

I think the best part of your post was that your sister asked you to make for a sheath for her machete!

4 hours ago, kimberlyrose said:

So.. I am a bag maker. I sew leather on machine only, I've never really done hand stitching. I've never made anything for any kind of knife. That said, my sister asked me for a sheath for her machete for christmas. Of course I'm late to the game on this one, but all I have to go by is a tracing I made of it. I guess I don't really understand how inserting and removing the machete would not cut the stitches? Also, she wants to wear it across her back. And she is right handed, so I'm trying to "naturally" grab for my massive machete behind me, and I cant figure out if you would grab it from behind your right shoulder, or cross your face to take it from your left side? 

Is this even possible to make with just a tracing or am I nuts for thinking of giving it a go?

For longer blades, like swords, a back sheath is pretty much Hollywood -- you can only draw the sword the length of your arm, which is shorter than the lengths of most swords. (For a quick, fun illustration of this problem, look at this video:  Shadiversity -- Drawing a Sword from the Back)
But for a shorter blade, like a machete, it may just be possible to draw it from a back sheath. Use cardboard and mock it up before devoting leather to the project. 
I don't think you could cross your face and draw it -- that would be a lot less draw length. 
Drawing it up over the right shoulder (if right handed) would be the way. 
Or make a down-draw sheath, as illustrated above. 

Ahhh makes perfect sense!! It might not be a machete actually, because it looks longer than the pic posted above. I think it's going to have to be on a belt worn at the waist. In that case, do you wear it on your opposite hip?

24 minutes ago, kimberlyrose said:

Ahhh makes perfect sense!! It might not be a machete actually, because it looks longer than the pic posted above. I think it's going to have to be on a belt worn at the waist. In that case, do you wear it on your opposite hip?

yes! and why civil war holsters were worn on the right side but made for left handed cross draw, they used their strong arm, right,  for the sabre and the left for the pistol lol, not that it has a darn thing to do with this. lol 

Oh, and while you're on YouTube, watch this film clip .......  'Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife!'

If you're going to carry a large heavy knife on a belt at your hip, search Google and YouTube for 'Sam Browne Belt'

He was a British officer who lost an arm fighting in British India, so he developed a belt with a diagonal strap so he could still carry a sword, as some of the weight was carried on his shoulder. Later the same system was used to carry a revolver in place of a sword

He also invented the Sam Browne Stud, which enabled him to adjust the straps with one hand.

The current British Army Machete is carried in a synthetic sheath at the waist; Search t'Net accordingly

Edited by zuludog

10 hours ago, kimberlyrose said:

Cross drawing is probably the way to go here. You can put shorter blades on the same side as the drawing hand, or even a back sheath. 
I have a dagger simulator (for rapier and dagger fencing) which has a sheath which mounts on a belt and rides in the small of my back, sticking out towards my right side. Some Elizabethan artwork shows similar things. My rapier rides in a traditional rapier hanger, low on my left side. 

Of course, the real question is this --- is the person going to be actually wearing the machete into the bush, and using it, or is this just a protective sheath for transport, rather than designed to be worn? 
There are many, many different ways to mount the scabbard onto a belt -- you can spend hours searching through images of how it can be done. 

Edited by DJole

14 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yes! and why civil war holsters were worn on the right side but made for left handed cross draw, they used their strong arm, right,  for the sabre and the left for the pistol lol, not that it has a darn thing to do with this. lol 

ooh, interesting!

Now I love this project! She actually does use it, she works on a farm in the field, and also forages. I wouldn't say she uses it often, but she does, and currently just carries it in her hand. So many options out there!! I know whatever I make should weigh as little as possible. Thanks for all the info!

Dont sacrifice weight over safety. A sheath is also supposed to protect the wearer from accidental cuts and stabs. At some point we all slip trip and fall. Make sure you put a good welt in there too!

2 hours ago, kimberlyrose said:

Now I love this project! She actually does use it, she works on a farm in the field, and also forages. I wouldn't say she uses it often, but she does, and currently just carries it in her hand. So many options out there!! I know whatever I make should weigh as little as possible. Thanks for all the info!

If it is for real use in the field then a single removable adjustable strap that can be thrown over either shoulder or worn however she likes, and a belt loop as well would be my choice as there is no real problem for the wearer to remove it from her back if necessary to remove the machete. It would be more functional I think for her in a daily work situation. Most of the on the back knife or sword stuff you will google has the ninga mentality lol if you will to make them look cool or "tactical" but not really functional in a daily work process. You may also google traditional arrow quivers to get ideas as they are used much the same way either slung over the back or worn on the belt.

Edited by chuck123wapati
more

such great information. I definitely want it to be functional, not ninja or cool looking. I will look into the arrow quivers for sure. Thanks so much!