Ragingstallion

Storing your waxed thread

I have been looking around the site, and have yet to find anything on it. maybe i didn't look long enough, though i think 15 minutes of searching is long enough.

How you do you store your waxed thread? I am getting a good sized pile of waxed thread, and i love to leave them in the plastic bags they come in. but the drawer that i made on my tool stand is overloaded. so was looking for other ideas on how/were to store them.

I just make sure it's away from heat sources and sunlight. I'm using Danish cookies tins, but my thread spools are tiny.

My local supermarket sells 1kg potato salad in clear plastic tubs; I use those. Thus I can sort my thread into linen, synthetic, different makes, different diameters, and so on, as I wish. I keep them in a cupboard at room temperature

I don't use Tiger thread, so I don't have any large reels, they're mostly in the 50m to 200m range, with a few shorter lengths on card. I have another smaller plastic box for my beeswax

I tried plastic bags but they always seemed to get scruffy & dirty

Edited by zuludog

I keep all my hand sewing threads in my top drawer next to my tooling bench for easy access , along with all my  h/s needles, machine needles  etc. away from any heat.  I also keep my machine threads in another  drawer( an old filing cabinet) away from heat , sun  & dust  etc.

HS

RAGINGSTALLION - Just re - read your post -  I'm sure you could find tubs of potato salad in Idaho!

49 minutes ago, zuludog said:

I'm sure you could find tubs of potato salad in Idaho!

:lol: Or make another drawer :o

I only have large spools so I have a half inch piece of PVC pipe that runs the span of my workbench and I have them strung onto the pipe so I can just pull some off and forget about it. Its out of the way yet easily accessible.

I've never even considered a drawer or keeping them bagged/confined. I don't seem to have a problem with dust or fading. I've been doing it this way for a few years now. 

I keep my spare spools in a couple of plastic boxes on a shelf unit.

Thread for ready use is kept in the top part of my 'sewing' tool box along with my plastic box containing needles and other sewing needs

19 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I've never even considered a drawer or keeping them bagged/confined. I don't seem to have a problem with dust or fading

At this point in time, in Oz, we are experiencing some of the  worst/extreme weather temps  in a long time,  45- 50+ deg C . ( around 113- 123+  F in your lingo) and Oz is ablaze.   Right now, my workshop is in the dark , all my leathers are covered up, all my threads etc. are stored away....in the dark away from heat as much as possible. The curtains are closed. My machines are covered up.   So I guess it depends where you are. 

Sorry to be a bit dramatic, but its a scary time for us right now. 

HS 

It's cool @Handstitched, I hadn't even thought that it was temperature based. I have my shop inside and we are air conditioned. I have some of that way too overly waxed artificial sinew that at 50 C would probably drip if not completely slip off the bobbin/tube.

I hope y'all get some sensible weather soon. That is HOT!

Hey hand stitched, so sorry to see what is happening down under you are all in our hearts and prayers hope you get relief soon 

Thank you so much :specool: << see what I did there ? 

We're having another ' bout '  of extremes again as I type,  but we're supposed have some cooler temps towards the end of the week , hopefully  :)

But I do still keep all my threads, machine, h/s,  & waxed etc.  in a wood desk  drawer away from heat. 

HS