GnewVFL

4 or 8 ton manual clicker press for holsters

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I’m to the point where I need to speed up production time/ quality of my holsters. I saw several videos of people making their own out of arbor presses etc. I’m looking for something a little nicer and specifically made for cutting leather. I keep reading good reviews on the  4 ton Weaver mighty wonder press at around $1400 or the 8 ton around 2k. Is the 4 ton capable of cutting 8-9 oz leather? I will not be using anything thicker and the press would be solely for holster making. If I sound like a rookie it’s because I am. Thanks 

I have a Lucris MA III and works fine on 4-5 oz .with my wallet dies. It works on 10 oz leather but with small dies . I would go with the 8 tons in your case 

I have the 4ton, while very helpful and adequate on smaller dies, it does struggle on anything larger.  If you have the room and the budget, I'd suggest considering the 8ton, if you are going to be doing larger pieces.

I found this quote from Weaver...

"If you get the linear inch of the pattern you are looking at and multiply that x 400 it will give you the amount of pressure needed to click out the die. Holsters vary in size a lot so I can't say for sure.

As an example, if you have a die that is 10 linear inches, it would take approximately 2 tons of pressure."

No mention was made of the weight of the leather and maybe that does not matter too much.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth