jaycie

Need Custom wallet work done

Hi, I am looking for someone to recreate my boyfriends wallet that was his grandfathers. I have been told it was made by someone who used handmade stamps so it will be hard to recreate. Im just trying to find someone who can recreate it as close as possible! I can email pictures but it won’t let me upload them here

5 minutes ago, jaycie said:

I can email pictures but it won’t let me upload them here

To get a response members of this site need to see the pictures. The usual reason for uploading difficulties is that they are too large. You might try sending them to yourself, as that sometimes allows you to send reduced sized images, then post those smaller images. 

I think visitors are not allowed to post photos nor send PMs.

But you are signed in as a member. You may need to reduce the size of your photo. If you are using a phone send the photo to yourself first then try putting it on here. 

9 minutes ago, jaycie said:

Hi, I am looking for someone to recreate my boyfriends wallet that was his grandfathers. I have been told it was made by someone who used handmade stamps so it will be hard to recreate. Im just trying to find someone who can recreate it as close as possible! I can email pictures but it won’t let me upload them here

you can upload them if you resize them smaller to be under the 1.46gb. 

I'd take a look at that.  What schedule we on here?  jeff@jlsleather.com

Yeah, those were big files ;) I shrank em to about 35% and still big.  I git a bit more time I'll need to mess with the quality a bit... see if I can make out more detail. GrandDad got some MILES out of this one.  Anybody recognize it?

image0.jpg

image2.jpg

I'm thinking that was made by a Navajo craftsman

looks to be southwestern or even from Mexico

Yes looks to be south western or even from Mexico, the designs in the center are hard to make out but it sure is a cool old wallet. DOH just noticed it says Mexico right on it next to the initials doesn't it?lol.

Handmade stamps?

Edited by sinpac

I will bet it is from Mexico, embossed, with  initials stamped.  Used to see a bunch of this stuff in Mexico with intricate circle design.  Navajos known for rug weaving and silver and turquoise jewelry. Not so much leather although there are talented people out there doing amazing work.

Edited by terrymac
Addition

The large circle looks to be a representation of an Aztec/Maya calendar stone - albeit not totally accurate.  Here's an image of one that I found online -  https://favpng.com/png_view/aztec-print-aztec-calendar-stone-mesoamerica-maya-civilization-png/8Dnxr30y   

Mexico, Central and South America have a long tradition of leather tooling, probably learned from the Spanish, who also have a great leather tooling tradition.  I have a really nice old bag that is marked Honduras.  The tooling is much simpler than your wallet is, but still pretty cool.  :)

- Bill 

It's the Aztec calendar—simplified, of course—it'd be quite a feat to tool the whole thing onto such a small item. It also says "Mexico" on the back. ;)

Edited by Hardrada

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to do this one without seeing more detail.  Tough to even tell how it was put together... glue, thread, lace, or some combination of those?@!

I don't think this girl wanted a historical discussion of the drawing.. she was hoping somebody would REPLACE IT for her.  

It looks like thin leather, tooled and laminated with a bit of card* in the middle and some sort of material for the insides.  *Is that white card showing in the bottom left of the 2nd picture?

Looks like stitching up the left edge in the top picture, maybe across the top and whats left of stitching holes across the bottom of it (where the leather is curved)

I think whoever takes this on needs to have it in their hands whilst doing it

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't think this girl wanted a historical discussion of the drawing.. she was hoping somebody would REPLACE IT for her.  

Well she didn't say she didn't. Besides, nothing wrong with providing context: we were even able to suss out not only the wallet's provenance (which may point her in that direction if she fails to find someone here to do it), but that it can be tooled by anyone who has the right stamps: it was mostly done with seeders, backgrounders, arches, greek key, and arrowheads. I can see them or similar in Barry King's page: Stamps: borders

It was not laced, but stitched, quite likely with machine, and possibly lined with fabric and/or filled in with cardboard.

Ah.. so you "deduced" that it's stamped "mexico".  :rofl:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=E618AFFE492134CC8616297774EACC106D31610D&thid=OIP.8EvnKnyx5VSb18E-wHFeQwAAAA&mediaurl=https

this is one of two I found online images they seem to be of the same maker with some differences in design but could help you in reproducing the original as you can see how they were made. if you click on the address above the picture it will take you to the ebay page its already been sold but has pictures of the back and inside also.

Edited by chuck123wapati
more info

very excellent find