Workinman

Burnishing without discoloring

Hello everyone.  Newbie here.  I'm trying to burnish the edges of a bunch of coasters I made as gifts but want to try and retain the veg tan look.  I've tried water alone, which gave me the best result.  I also tried pro resist; water/pro resist; gum trag; and, water/gum trag.  All seem to darken the edges ?  Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Workinman said:

want to try and retain the veg tan look

There is a product called Tokonole, which you paint on then burnish, which comes in clear. From this picture it looks like it might work for you. One source is Rocky Mountain Leather Supply.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/seiwa-tokonole-gum-trag-replacement-burnishing-agent?variant=1194080319

Niwa_Leathers_Tokonole_Smooth_Edge_Finish_Burnishing_Rub_Wax_1400x.jpg

Seiwa_Tokonole_Edge_Burnishing_Leather_Gum_Trag_Tragacanth_Replacement_Edge_Slicker_Agent_Bob_Park_540x.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Thank You LatigoAmigo !  So, if I am careful to burnish so I don't burn (darken) the edges, the Tokonole will go on as a clear sealer ?  If so, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,

Workinman

On 12/14/2019 at 1:47 AM, LatigoAmigo said:

There is a product called Tokonole, which you paint on then burnish, which comes in clear. From this picture it looks like it might work for you. One source is Rocky Mountain Leather Supply.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/seiwa-tokonole-gum-trag-replacement-burnishing-agent?variant=1194080319

Niwa_Leathers_Tokonole_Smooth_Edge_Finish_Burnishing_Rub_Wax_1400x.jpg

Seiwa_Tokonole_Edge_Burnishing_Leather_Gum_Trag_Tragacanth_Replacement_Edge_Slicker_Agent_Bob_Park_540x.jpg

Thanks for that.  I've been burnishing with water and edge coating.  Had some recent problems with that.  I was previously burnishing after dyeing the edges.  The Pro Oil dyes do well for burnishing except when I don't want a black edge and my burnisher is now black.  And if the build up gets thrown off the burnisher it can ruin a light colored project.  And I hate the smell of Gum Trag.  So I've got some of this inbound now.  

Any idea how long this endures the ravages of every day life?  If the edge gets scuffed, would one just repolish the surface and be at least part way back to this gorgeous finish?  Looks like a miracle in a jar.

God bless

Tokonole is excellent for a smooth, shiny edge, but it is not particularly durable as-is.  When I use Tokonole, I will still put a sealer (Resolene) over the edges as part of coating the entire project.

Two notes: Resolene is too concentrated. Dilute 50:50 with water for much better results.  Also, tokonole (or gum trag) can resist dye so the edges look better to dye, then burnish with tokonole or gum trag.  Some will lightly burnish with water or saliva before dyeing though.

Got the Tokonole in yesterday.  Burnished a few project by hand and got the best and easiest edges I've done burnishing by hand.  Then burnished some on the drill press today.  Even better!  And this stuff really lays down the fuzz on the grain side inside a holster.  So far I could not be happier with this.  

Edited by chiefjason