Akube

Tooled fly rod and reel cases

My other hobby , making bamboo fly rods and fly reels, got me started in this endeavor.  Sort of like Bikermutt said  I'm not paying 300.00 for a leather reel case.  Thousands of dollars  and a couple of trips to  the Sheridan show later here we are. And loving every miniute of it.

20191201_081247.jpg

20191201_081136.jpg

As a fellow fly fishing fanatic and bamboo rod enthusiast all I can say is WOW. Absolutely beautiful work. I have thought about making a reel case but wasn't sure where to start as far as leather type and weight. I think you may have forced me to move this project to the top of my list.

Very nice. Fly fishing and leather work are both slippery slopes, aren't they? LOL

Tight lines,

Arturo

beautiful work on that case but I don't see the handmade rod? Cmon now give us a peek. Just an off hand question I have a couple really old bamboo rods can they be re wound with new thread?

I like the case. I like the idea. I like the layout and the color.  I will like it with a fox ;)  

Care for one suggestion from a guy who admits he doesn't make these (but does fish)?

ETA:  Wait.. is that buckle tab riveted or sewn down on the under side?

Edited by JLSleather

Ok Chuck here is a rod pic and threw in a couple of fly reel pics also.  And yes old bamboo rods can certainly be refinished. Jeff the tab is sewn on the underside and then folded over and sewn

reel 2.jpg

reel 1.jpg

rod photo.jpg

2 hours ago, Akube said:

Ok Chuck here is a rod pic and threw in a couple of fly reel pics also.  And yes old bamboo rods can certainly be refinished. Jeff the tab is sewn on the underside and then folded over and sewn

reel 2.jpg

reel 1.jpg

rod photo.jpg

That's one nice rod there for sure ! I may have to get in touch for some pointers on re doing that rod of mine. I love throwing a fly on the miracle mile. 

Real nice projects. Nice pics.

Wow, I really dig that reel case.   Pretty slick. 

All of that is great the rod the reel and the leather work.  I've made 2 bamboo rods and yes why buy one when I can spend three times as much making one...oh wait leather was the same thing....and knife making hmmm

Making is still the best.  Using stuff you made makes the experiences outdoors even more special imo.  Enjoy those they came out wonderful