Treesner

more waterproof sheath (top part)

hey guy I'm trying to make a sheath for a multitool but all the sheath designs I see have the top part really exposed to water seeping in. Me and my customers often find ourselves in the rain and mud. wondering if theres a technique for closing off the top part more? 

some random sheaths for reference (I'd like to make final of leather) left to right 

1) you can see the exposed area at the top 
2) has those little ear flaps, thats the only design I've seen that addresses what I was thinking (does this work with leather?)
3)if you make the sheath go higher than usual it can be hard to pull it out and water still can seep around that pretty easy. 

My only other thought is like a zipper style but that can be finicky on the belt. 

any ideas or examples? 

sheaths.jpg

No reason why #2 can't be done out of leather. You'll need to either wet mold or make the flap out of a T shape and stitch the edges  but it should work.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, Treesner said:

hey guy I'm trying to make a sheath for a multitool but all the sheath designs I see have the top part really exposed to water seeping in. Me and my customers often find ourselves in the rain and mud. wondering if theres a technique for closing off the top part more? 

some random sheaths for reference (I'd like to make final of leather) left to right 

1) you can see the exposed area at the top 
2) has those little ear flaps, thats the only design I've seen that addresses what I was thinking (does this work with leather?)
3)if you make the sheath go higher than usual it can be hard to pull it out and water still can seep around that pretty easy. 

My only other thought is like a zipper style but that can be finicky on the belt. 

any ideas or examples? 

sheaths.jpg

-

Closing flap/Lid systems on outdoor items like pouches and small packs .  The only way to be better for the weather protection working into you than the 'side-ears' flap, on your fold-over closing flap you are showing in the Pic. . Would be to go for a 'box cover'-Lid , with back-hinge connect to your closing system, to totally cover on all 4-sides . It can be done in leather, if you do the pattern right in a ( one-piece ) and box your corner seams . the item in pic. 1-k den nylon inside and outside and heavy padded, but it gives you an idea of what talking about .

( side view ) . I dug this old sample out of one of the box's under the table . A box-cover Lid, they look like this with back hinge connect .
-
Lid.thumb.jpg.7931e137a101587e3b4e82877320d143.jpg
-

It would really help if we saw the "multitool" you are trying to protect.

My first thought was the pair of pliers that has 10 things built into each handle, . . . but that does not seem to be the case here.

May God bless,

Dwight