This is my 7th holster and while I’m progressing with help from guys on here I’m still making tons of mistakes! Finally ordered a punch tool for the belt slots so that will be better on the next one. I smooshed the back side of the holster during the wet form bc I got it a little too tight and had to work it in. I realize now that I lose a lot of whatever design I carve during the wet form process. What do you guys use for a spacer/rail over the sights so the weapon is not so right on the draw? All critiques are really helping me out I know I need the guidance. Thanks 

15BAC877-4A83-446F-89C5-3B4D089441B6.jpeg

9FBABC57-98F5-405B-8D0F-3F9F6B8869EF.jpeg

EF85F30E-791B-41EA-ABF2-1E88262D86FC.jpeg

To create a sight tunnel, you can use a dowel or chopstick. Sand one side flat and cut it to length (or use square stock and round off the top edges).

I wrap the gun in Saran wrap, then place the spacer on top and tape it in place, using a couple of turns around the barrel.

I hope you are getting your slot punch real soon! :)

nick

The carving looks great initially.

I assume your using at least a 7/8 oz leather.  Less time in the water would help preserve the stamping when you form the holster. 15-17 seconds.  If I need a little more, I just dip it back in. 

Blue Guns are fairly cheap and they generally come with a dowel for the sight channel. And you don't have to worry about your gun, or a customers gun getting wet. 

If you don't have a slot punch, a round punch at either end and an xacto knife the to remove the rest of the material will give you the right shape. 

Thanks Eric! I started buying blue guns recently but at $50 a pop I’m kinda having to pick and choose popular pistol makes first. So far I have molds for 9 glocks and a universal 1911 . I’ve been ordering from customknifekits.com as they’ve been the cheapest I can find. Finally got my slot punch! Hopefully the next ones look professional. Thanks again guys 

Hi, On the sights, I've read that some people sew a couple of strips of leather on each side of the front sights on the inside of the holster for the front sight to slide down?  Does that work well?

Thanks

Looks good.  I'm new so my advice may be worth what you pay for it.   The only tooled holster I've made is a pancake.  I only tooled the side you can see and I did most of my forming on the back wetting the back really well.  I did wet the tooled side a little from the inside of the holster on the flesh side but not enough to hurt the tooling.

Scootch