Sraab813

Hey all, new to leather, and new to the forum. Career military, and currently living in northern NY (Southern Canada) I stumbled upon leathercraft while researching how to make a flogger. I was immediately interested and completely immersed myself with all things leather... in the last 2 months I've purchased all the basic tools, 2 mouse hides and a Horween deer hide. The moose have served me well to make wallets and small card holders, I have found that I'm not terrible at it and will likely continue as you can only get better with time. I think my next adventure will be with veg tan and see what I can whip up with that... I'll try to add some pictures when I can.

You got 2 mouse hides? That was a hilarious typo. I'm thinking, what's he gonna do with mouse hides? Then I'm thinking, where did he even GET mouse hides.... all of this before I got to the "moose" part of it. Can't stop laughing!

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your projects. Leather makes for a great, lifetime hobby or a business, if you should go in that direction.

To me, there is no better feeling than the one I get when I finish a project that I totally made myself. There is a tremendous self-satisfaction in that. You know what I mean.

I see that you are interested in guns. You might want to make some holsters? Yes? Whatever you make, you will find camaraderie here.

This is a great forum... enjoy!

nick

You can make a heck of a coin purse out of mouse hides.  Sure, they look a bit cheesy, but so what?

Welcome to the forum Sraab!

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

I'm thinking, where did he even GET mouse hides.... all of this before I got to the "moose" part of it. Can't stop laughing!

Well it's hunting season ya know. Not sure what the right caliber is for that though.

Sorry Sraab, didn't mean to make fun. First of all, thank you for your service. Good luck with your new hobby and I look forward to seeing pictures of your projects.

Thanks for the comedy, I didn't even notice the typo... I died laughing when I read y'alls comments

On 12/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, TargetRockLeather said:

Well it's hunting season ya know. Not sure what the right caliber is for that though.

Well, you have to use a "mouse gun", of course! 

For those who are unfamiliar, "mouse gun" is a real, oft used nomenclature, for a small caliber gun such as .22 and .25

I am not making this up.

I held off this comment, trying to let someone else get in on this but I didn't see that happening, so I had to go ahead.

Okay, I'm done.

Sraab... glad to see that you are enjoying this too!

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth