SuperGordius

Newbie from Poland

Hello everyone,

My name is Damian. I come from the south of Poland very close to the Czech border.

I am here to learn so that I can do the things I like but I am not going to go shopping and buy them!

5 years ago I became interested in computer graphics, advertising and promotion. Since then, I have a completely different view of handmade items. First of all, I began to appreciate the uniqueness! My adventure starts here and I hope that I will show off very quickly what I have done and the knowledge I gained in the forum.
I'm happy I'm here. Thank you for people like you.

Edited by SuperGordius
spelling error

Welcome to the forum! 

What kinds of things do you want to make? 

My advice is to watch some YouTube videos on whatever item you want to make, to learn the tools and technique.

A great start would be videos by Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson.

Don't buy any tools until you know what you need and then only buy what you need for your first project.

Add tools as you need them.

This helps to avoid wasting money.

Have fun!

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Buying tools as needed for each project is great advice. 
Watching the videos referred to above (many hours of great information) is an excellent way to figure out which tools are needed for which project.
Some other common advice given (I wish I could remember who first stated this, so I could give credit) is to start small -- many people want to jump right in with big projects, without the experience or skills to handle them. 
Start small, and do many of the small things (coasters, card wallets, and similar things) -- you will save money on leather, and you will actually COMPLETE the projects, and learn basic techniques through repetition. And if the project didn't turn out so well, then you didn't waste a lot of time or money on it. You can then throw it in the "learning experience" bin and know what to do better next time!

16 minutes ago, DJole said:

Buying tools as needed for each project is great advice. 
Watching the videos referred to above (many hours of great information) is an excellent way to figure out which tools are needed for which project.
Some other common advice given (I wish I could remember who first stated this, so I could give credit) is to start small -- many people want to jump right in with big projects, without the experience or skills to handle them. 
Start small, and do many of the small things (coasters, card wallets, and similar things) -- you will save money on leather, and you will actually COMPLETE the projects, and learn basic techniques through repetition. And if the project didn't turn out so well, then you didn't waste a lot of time or money on it. You can then throw it in the "learning experience" bin and know what to do better next time!

At first I want to make few watch band's for my USSR watches (Wostok, Poljot etc). Simple classic's needs simple strip's. My next "real" target is large shopping / messenger's bag for my wife, she realy need durable bag!

@wizard of tragacanth I'm already subscribing Ian Atkinson.

I am convinced that it will be much easier for me to learn with the help of Leatherworker users

Welcome and good luck.