Sign in to follow this  
Omer

Singer 29k -62

Good evening 

i just recently purchased a singer 29k 62,I finally got it sewing well except my thread spacing, just wondering why I can only get 8 stitches per inch when I have it on 5, and sewing 2oz leather? It was not used for years, could it be from sitting?

also I’m looking at powering the 29k,can you use a servo motor on the singer original base? If so would anyone have any pictures of there’s ? Thanks

It´s because of worn parts - the bell crank lever (the part with the stitch length numbers on it ) has a major influence on the stitch length. It´s likely the tip is worn down. The feed motion ring has an influence as well but you barely can tell if it is worn or not. So first thing I´d replace it the bell crank lever. Don´t know what part supplier you have in Canada but the parts number is 82167. You should find this part almost everywhere - even on Ebay.

Also make sure the stitch length adjuster is correctly assembled. The squared frame and the gib have a "wedge" which have to be positioned correctly. The wedges give the presser foot bar space for its movement (feeding).

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Do you need to take the whole head apart to replace it? Or can you just get the screws from underneath?

Oh yes Omer,

you  have to take whole head part off from it, to find whats is wrong about it.

New parts you can get easily from a great english Singer Patcher newadays  partdealer, but minor warning adout that,

you have to exatly know what parts you are needing for you and you have to know why you have to have them...

I can propably help, I can tell what you need... yes, and from here in the midlle of nowhere, and I can help you from here, 

from finland if you want to.

I have lot of singer 29' patchers parts without use for me anymore.

Please don't hesitate to send me email:

tapio.puhakainen@gmail.com

(sorry for my bad english

"The PosPat & St.Claus are still living...even newadays..."

Regards Tapio

Update: tonight I checked the pressure on the pressure foot, it was so tight that it was almost maxed out, so when I backed it off just enough to move the leather I started to get 5 stitches per inch on two layers of 3 oz oil tanned leather. Just wondering if too much pressure would cause that? Or is my patcher starting to work better after sitting so long?