toxo

Bonded Nylon Thread For Sale/Swap

I have lots of cones ofM60 bonded nylon in a few colours. Ideally I'd like to swap some of it for something thicker like TKT20 which I think is 138. I'm in the UK (Kent) If there's any interest I'll post some pics.

It's all clear as mud to me also Folker. Why they can't standardise I just don't know.

According to my sheet  v69 (I think same as M) is TKT40 or T70 and takes a 100 or a 110 needle which is what i always used or thereabouts but that was before it was working properly. When I squish em with the calipers , not scientific I know I'm getting conflicting results but that's probably cos of different brands and some colours holding up better than others. If you want I can take pics with a caliper reading so you can gauge against what you have.  

Not a bad idea because many don't have labels at all.

"M" designation same as "Tkt" designation so M60 is V46 while M40 is V69. Size V46 is typically used in domestic sewing machines.

kgg

45 minutes ago, kgg said:

"M" designation same as "Tkt" designation so M60 is V46 while M40 is V69. Size V46 is typically used in domestic sewing machines.

kgg

One of the conversion sheets that I have agrees with this but it's not that straightforward. The biggest machine sewing thread I own is TKT 20 which squishes at around 0.4mm and takes a 140 needle.When I've cleared up my project room I'll take some pics. And domestic threads don't normally come on 3000M cones.

On this side of the pond your 8 oz and 1 lb pound spools are really available in most sizes including V46. The yardage of thread on the spool is going to depend on thread size. A really good thread / needle chart is the one on Toledo Sewing Machines website ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html ). The only thing to be careful of on the chart is the amount of thread is in yards per pound not meters per kilogram.  When I spoke with American & Efird this summer they were eliminating their 8 oz spools in the near future. If I am not mistaken 4 oz (113g) and 8 oz (227g) are more common with the 1 lb spools not so common.

kgg

9 minutes ago, kgg said:

On this side of the pond your 8 oz and 1 lb pound spools are really available in most sizes including V46. The yardage of thread on the spool is going to depend on thread size. A really good thread / needle chart is the one on Toledo Sewing Machines website ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html ). The only thing to be careful of on the chart is the amount of thread is in yards per pound not meters per kilogram.  When I spoke with American & Efird this summer they were eliminating their 8 oz spools in the near future. If I am not mistaken 4 oz (113g) and 8 oz (227g) are more common with the 1 lb spools not so common.

kgg

I thought I was going mad. Posts and replies going missing until I realised we were posting across two topics. :)

Update!

These are now on Ebay if someone wants to bag a bargain.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274179684331