Bransen111

Question about the Techsew 5100 SE

Hey everyone, I’ve got a quick question about some Techsew machines. I have a 2750 on order right now that’s just waiting to be shipped and I will primarily be doing wallets and cardholders but also want to do holsters and some gun belts. I recently came across a Techsew 5100 SE for sale at a very good price actually quite a bit less than the 2750 I’m buying and would definitely go for it but I’m new to sewing machines and just wonder a few things. 

Some of the wallets I make are under 6oz of leather all together and the Techsew website says the 5100 seed from 6oz to 7/8” thick. So this might be a stupid question but would the 5100 not work for smaller goods such as wallets and cardholders? Or is there a way to make it work? Thanks for any advice! 

This subject has been raised before. The 5100 is a heavy-duty harness stitcher, designed to sew thick leather with heavy thread. Wiz has described how these machines can be "dumbed-down" to sew light thread and thin leather but it's a fair bit of work and not really recommended. While the Techsew site says this machine can sew #69 thread for most people I don't consider that a viable option.

If you buy this one it will be ideal for holsters and gunbelts while your 2750 will be great for smaller items - bags , wallets etc.

If you can (financially) keep them both! f you have space problems alter one machine stand the way that you can switch the machine heads. That would safe you a lot of space.

8 hours ago, Bransen111 said:

Some of the wallets I make are under 6oz of leather all together and the Techsew website says the 5100 seed from 6oz to 7/8” thick. So this might be a stupid question but would the 5100 not work for smaller goods such as wallets and cardholders? Or is there a way to make it work? Thanks for any advice!

Yes there is a way to make the 441 machine sew thin material with thin thread. I wrote a blog article all about it. I call it dumbing down a Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or similar harness stitcher. Give it a read and decide if it is something you want to go through when you change from thin to thick jobs. If you have 20 or 30 minutes to spare before sewing, it's worth the effort. It lets you sew with #69 and #92 thread into wallets, phone cases, book covers, jeans, chaps, vests, etc.

In order to get the best results in thin material you should buy the optional flat slotted throat plate and a table attachment (unless they come with the used machine you mentioned).

Eventually, when you get busier sewing, you'll want dedicated machines for the different thicknesses and thread sizes. One thing I've found is that the longer the needle, the easier it is to deflect it into the feed dog surface instead of the hole. This can occasionally happen to large size needles, but happens quite often with thin needles.

Big 441 type machines use System 7x3 round point and 794 leather point needles. You need to know that there aren't any regular sources for System 794 leather point needles in sizes under #23 (metric 160) in the North American market (although they may possibly be available somewhere from some seller or importer). That leaves one using regular round points for #18 through #22 needles. Not a biggie but worth mentioning.

BTW: My article about dumbing down a harness stitcher could be reversed to smartening it up if you normally keep it dumbed down for thin work with thin needles. ;-)

Wow thanks everyone, this group has such much knowledge. The 5100 has a buyer coming today but if he doesn’t take it then I think I’ll jump on it! 

I’ve been looking for the 5100se sewing machine 

I would buy used or new if anyone has one sitting around collecting dust send it my way 

Marc 

Anyone looking for a techsew 5100 special edition, brand nea

Screenshot_20220207-182953.png