Paul776

Storing my roll veg tan in a temp self storage unit.

Hi All, 

I recently accepted a new job offer outside of my state. I have to the majority of stuff into a temporary self storage unit. I'm concerned about veg tan rolls and off cuts getting mildew. Any suggestions to help alleviate this from happening? Thank you and Happy New Year to you all.

Best regards

Paul B

Depending on where you are in the world and your relative humidity, this *MAY* work for you.

Roll them up. (You did say they were rolls)

Place them in an under bed storage box like this (various sizes available): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-66-Quart-Stadium-Blue-Ultra-Storage-Box/45924275?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5303&adid=22222222227038513973&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=90376550192&wl4=pla-182517186512&wl5=9030332&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=45924275&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8XypoDa5gIVOffjBx3gnwPuEAQYASABEgKIefD_BwE

And make sure to put a silica/dehumidifier (like for gun safes) inside to help absorb moisture: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SnapSafe-5-in-Large-Rechargeable-Canister-Gun-Safe-Dehumidifier-75902/301613121

I make no guarantees but the box will help keep your leather from being crushed in storage and will provide a "semi-controlled" atmosphere. The safe dehumidifier should help absorb any other latent moisture to help prevent mold/mildew.

Are you emotionally attached to it?  Is it "special" leather?  

Instead of spending money and time on things that "might" or "could" work, I'd personally likely sell that leather for what i can reasonably get.  Do what you're going to do.  Buy more leather when you're ready for it.  Cash travels (and stores) quite well.