Anndreak

Fieblings Acrylic Dye?

Has anyone used Fieblings Acrylic Dye, hopefully in Light Blue and could tell me about it? Pictures of the results?  I have a customer who wants a light blue bag (I mainly stick to browns when I am dying) and I have no experience with blues. The closest color I can find is Fieblings Acrylic Dye, but I don't know what the results of that would be.....or if you know of another good dye that would yield a light blue color, please let me know! HELP! 

:no:

Don't think I would do an acrylic.  You can change out the word "acrylic" of the word "paint", generally.  Acrylics, like paint, sit on top of the leather rather than penetrate it.  They may discolor ("stain") the leather but they are not a permanent solution for any item that sees actual use.  If you're making something like a wall hanging that just gets viewed, then acrylics are likely fine.

For something that will actually see USE, I'd certainly lean toward a dye or, alternately, a stain. I have used their stains in walnut, black, and mahogany with good results, but -- down side, I don't know that FIebing's has a BLUE stain.  

I'd opt for the DYE.  Depending on the shade you want, you might THIN IT and then THIN IT AGAIN.  The navy is nearly black if applied full strength, but it can be thinned to transparent or anywhere between.

3 hours ago, Anndreak said:

Has anyone used Fieblings Acrylic Dye, hopefully in Light Blue and could tell me about it? Pictures of the results?  I have a customer who wants a light blue bag (I mainly stick to browns when I am dying) and I have no experience with blues. The closest color I can find is Fieblings Acrylic Dye, but I don't know what the results of that would be.....or if you know of another good dye that would yield a light blue color, please let me know! HELP! 

I have. No results to show you cos the item went into the scrap bin.

Don't think 'baby blue' nor 'french blue' but think of a dark 'royal blue', just a bit lighter and brighter than a navy blue. I could not get it any lighter than that despite everything I tried - thinning and dipping, thinning and spraying, thinning even more and trying. With the thinning I had to do multiple coats/dips to get the colour even, then it was dark again.

I ended up buying a bit of factory pre-dyed pale/light blue leather for the job - which was similar to yours, a customer wanted a light blue shoulder bag

PS; I may have something with this blue on it, or maybe not. I'll look

Edited by fredk

Making a card holder for my PCM, used Fieblings Pro Die in Royal Blue.  It came out darker than I really wanted but still a nice blue. I will post a picture when it is finished.

Never used them , but assume you would need to mix them with other colors or white to get lighter colours using acrylic dye

Dure i have seen that somewhere

have you tried an air brush?????

Hello,

I don't recommend acrylic paint but rather leather stain.
The difference between the two is that the paint is a plastic coating that remains on the surface, the dye penetrates the leather inside.

I needed WHITE, . . . cloud white, . . . leather for a project I did a few years back.

Searched out Ebay, . . . found a piece for a decent price, . . . 

Worked great for me.  That is where I would look.

May God bless,

Dwight

As many have mentioned, acrylics are only going to be optimal for smaller areas that aren't going to see much contact because they are not rub-fast.  If the customer isn't the type that is buying this because they expect longevity but more for fashion, which some are, maybe you can use acrylics. Looking at https://fiebing.com/product-color-charts/, it looks like the closest Fiebings dye to light blue would be the turquoise Leather Dye, but keep in mind this stuff is pigment based and has a reputation for drying out the leather and some issues with rubbing off color if its not burnished and sealed correctly.  Strangely, theres a light blue Leather Dye on their website that isnt listed on the color chart, might be something to look into https://fiebing.com/product/leather-dye/. Keep in mind that many of these colors are going to turn up darker than expected, especially if multiple layers are applied, and you can dilute them with an appropriate base to make them lighter.   

I've used Fiebings turquoise before and it is quite a light blue. You may want to get a bottle and see how it does for you. You could probably start there and thin it until you are happy. This sheath pic is unthinned turquoise. The pic of the little bag is Fiebings navy blue, it is really dark.

20170315_101134.jpg

image-20180819_132457-1328x747.jpg

Also, I'm getting Angelus blue jean colored dye next week (supposed to be here between the 17th and 20th). When it arrives, I'll put some on some veg tan and post it for reference.

Edited by battlemunky
Eye know tipe gud.

I spoke incorrectly above, it is Royal Blue, not Navy Blue on the little bag.