Hi all,

Here are a pair of kitchen knives and sheaths, made as Christmas presents for my parents. Originally I had planned for them to have different sheaths but simply ran out of time to design something new, so they are the same except for a subtle colour change on the borders. For an outdoor belt knife I would have added a welt or put the seam down the centre on the back, but as this is just to protect the edge while they sit in a drawer or something I think the simpler design shouldn't be a problem and I doubt there is much chance of them slicing through the stitches. The tooling is of course some Western swirly acanthus stuff, and due to the lack of belt loops is on both sides. Stitching is by hand and is with waxed linen. 

For anyone interested in the knives themselves, they are both hand forged from 1080 high carbon steel, with cocobolo grips and sheet brass bolsters which extend down the tang. 

A little more time would have been preferable really but overall quite happy with the end results.

I hope you like them and Happy Christmas everyone!

Alex

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Very dramatic carving on those sheaths. Nice job. Very even backgrounding, too!

Jeff

I really like the coloring of the carved areas on all the items you have shown us. It looks too dark to be an oil, resist, antique finish, so I'm guessing you dye the leather saddle tan, or tan, and then resist and antique. I also like the unusual bolster application. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Overall, it's a very attractive, and well made set. 

Great work on both knives and cases. Knives are particularly beautiful, flow of the bolster from knife up and around the handle quite unique.

I really like the knives they are beautiful.  The sheaths are nice as well.

23 hours ago, TSes said:

It looks too dark to be an oil, resist, antique finish, so I'm guessing you dye the leather saddle tan, or tan, and then resist and antique.

Yup, that's exactly right, it's just a personal preference thing really. This one was Fiebings Spanish brown. 

23 hours ago, TSes said:

I also like the unusual bolster application. I don't think I have ever seen that before

11 hours ago, Seagrove59 said:

flow of the bolster from knife up and around the handle quite unique.

cheers, the folded sheet bolsters were actually a design element stolen from 14th-15th century eating knives, and in this context at least is very common, though in the originals they tended to end after the first rivet rather than extend all the way down the tang. I don't think I have seen it in any modern application but was something i'd wanted to have a go at for a while. 

Thanks all!

Yep that's it. I quit knifemaking and sheathwork!  

Really unique knives and the sheath work too. The carving looks great flows nice and well tooled.

I have never seen the rolled brass liner like that it is very unique.  I am curious do.you think food will get stuck in there and be an issue.? Or water when cleaning cause a problem?  Rust?  

You should be real proud of those and what stunning gifts

Best

Ross 

beautiful work!

14 hours ago, Rossr said:

I have never seen the rolled brass liner like that it is very unique.  I am curious do.you think food will get stuck in there and be an issue.? Or water when cleaning cause a problem?  Rust?  

In all honesty I suspect you are right, and it isn't the most optimal design really, but with a little care after use I don't think it should be a problem. As these are carbon steel rather than stainless they already need a bit of extra attention, so it's just another step to the cleaning process I suppose. Originally I had wanted a sharper bend on the brass but the thickness made it difficult.  Cheers!

Alex

The knives and sheaths are both beautiful!.  I love the rounded detail at the back end of the blade. Very unique and has an organic feel to it.