Rossr

1977 camera bag for my wood carving tools

So does anyone else get down a serious rabbit hole?  Like you know there are a lot of more pressing matters but hey I need to make this bag like now.  

I give you my rabbit hole the last few days.  I wanted to make a bag to keep some wood carving tools. I play around spoon carving.  I'm tired of the gallon zip lock bag. So I keep looking at my books and got flipping through a box of leather magazines and  found a 1977 make it with leather article and pattern for a camera bag.  

I modified it and added velcro for top closure and only used veg tan and tooled the ends.  I love the oil tan look but find it almost impossible to glue the liner in place etc.  Thankfully sewing still works!

The oak leave pattern was in the magazine and is derived from stohlman how to carve leather.  The deer and oak leaves is a Jim Linnell design(I hope I did it justice as it's no where near the work Jim has on his website).  The feather I messed around myself with, mainly there to cover up a leather blemish but I thought it flowed well.  

Double loop lace.

I stitched two velcro strips inside and will make some dividers and a tool holder .

Open to any constructive criticism.  This is one of the largest projects I've attempted and overall I'm pleased with the outcome.  It's way over kill for some carving tools and some wood blocks. But hey that's why we do this stuff right for the love and joy of it!  

Happy New year everyone. 

20191230_214816.jpg

20191230_214758.jpg

20191230_214805.jpg

20191230_214855.jpg

20191230_214826.jpg

20191230_214915.jpg

Wow. Gotta say..some of your best work yet! Love it

16 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Wow. Gotta say..some of your best work yet! Love it

Thank you sir!

That is absolutely beautiful. Real nice work.

Very nice.   What a bag to keep your carving tools and some wood in.

Thats a great looking bag

2 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice.   What a bag to keep your carving tools and some wood in.

I may have went a tad overboard .  Thank you 

2 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thats a great looking bag

Thank you sir

lovely stuff, echo everything that's been said really. Looks like a good few hours of lacing there

Can definitely relate to the rabbit hole feeling... 

Also very jealous of workbench setup :o I want one

Good job. I like the turned out handles.

9 hours ago, Rohn said:

That is absolutely beautiful. Real nice work.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:

lovely stuff, echo everything that's been said really. Looks like a good few hours of lacing there

Can definitely relate to the rabbit hole feeling... 

Also very jealous of workbench setup :o I want one

That just an old wood desk I picked up on the cheap.(I see them listed a lot on craigslist cheap)  Some of the tool holders I made some came from buying stamps off ebay etc.  The stone o got somewhere I'm not even sure what it is could be thicker but seems to work fine.

Yep lacing took a bit as did the carving too but always fun to be down the rabbit hole!

Thanks for the kind words

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Good job. I like the turned out handles.

Thanks toxo, my son suggested it and it came out well imo

One day when I grow up and I can only find the entrance to that rabbit hole, I'll attempt something like this! Great work!

1 hour ago, Riem said:

One day when I grow up and I can only find the entrance to that rabbit hole, I'll attempt something like this! Great work!

Appreciate the kind words Thank you

Got the dividers and inside parts I wanted made.  Left me plenty of room.for additional tools down the road and wood blocks projects etc.

I like the velcro makes it easy to move things around inside if I want too.

Figures I'd share the inside as well thanks for looking folks

20200101_163639.jpg

20200101_163725.jpg

20200101_163606.jpg

20200101_163450.jpg

20200101_163511.jpg

20200101_163532.jpg

20200101_163524.jpg

Great looking bag, with a nice useful accessory system - nice work!

I'm curious about the Velcro rather than permanent attachments - do you expect to be moving the interior bits around often?

Thanks for posting all the pics, you’ve definitely got my mind running about the rabbit holes I could fall down.

5 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Great looking bag, with a nice useful accessory system - nice work!

I'm curious about the Velcro rather than permanent attachments - do you expect to be moving the interior bits around often?

Thanks for posting all the pics, you’ve definitely got my mind running about the rabbit holes I could fall down.

Thanks for the compliment.  I wanted the flexibility to move the dividers or add things if and when needed.  I know there are some other carving tools I would like to add.  So having a movable system gives options.  Realistically it will probably not change much but makes me happy knowing it can if I want.

Ross

My rabbit holes never seem to come out looking that good. Your life will be easier keeping up with your tools also. Now you can devote more time to chasing rabbits.  

5 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

My rabbit holes never seem to come out looking that good. Your life will be easier keeping up with your tools also. Now you can devote more time to chasing rabbits.  

Not all mine go this well either lol.  Off to find me some more rabbits.  Thanks

Wood stuff to hold the leather tools and leather stuff to hold the wood tools.  You been keepin' busy ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Wood stuff to hold the leather tools and leather stuff to hold the wood tools.  You been keepin' busy ;)

Never ends does it. It's a good thing!

That bag is beautiful! very nice work and a lot of it .Great job ! Thankyou for showing it.

31 minutes ago, Samalan said:

That bag is beautiful! very nice work and a lot of it .Great job ! Thankyou for showing it.

Kind words thank you 

On 12/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, Rossr said:

Open to any constructive criticism

Criticism? Seriously- you are joking...  you have single-handedly achieved the trifecta of good stewardship to your craft here...

1- You went and used resource material with heritage, and like most good creators saw a potential in another object to re-purpose to your own needs and modified it.

2- You chose and executed embellishment in a style and manner of your own taste and liking (it was for your personal use- if you like it- nothing else matters) AND gave breath to the source of your artwork inspiration/theme (Bravo there!)

3- You not only acted in good craft, but you documented your journey and have contributed to a body of knowledge for others to enjoy/learn from or adapt.

BRAVO!

Now Ive gotta find that rabbit hole too... HA! Awesome work.

11 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

Criticism? Seriously- you are joking...  you have single-handedly achieved the trifecta of good stewardship to your craft here...

1- You went and used resource material with heritage, and like most good creators saw a potential in another object to re-purpose to your own needs and modified it.

2- You chose and executed embellishment in a style and manner of your own taste and liking (it was for your personal use- if you like it- nothing else matters) AND gave breath to the source of your artwork inspiration/theme (Bravo there!)

3- You not only acted in good craft, but you documented your journey and have contributed to a body of knowledge for others to enjoy/learn from or adapt.

BRAVO!

Now Ive gotta find that rabbit hole too... HA! Awesome work.

I am humbled by your thoughts Thank you.  And yes it is just for me and I am happy with the results!  

This is a great community to share with and we are all helping each other in our leather working journey.   I happy to be able to share some of what I do and hopefully it helps someone else.  Least I can do for all I have learned here!

Thanks again

Ross