Silverd

Handbag liner material

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for material suitable for use as as lining for wallets or handbags.  Possibly nylon, but in some applications I would like to bond it directly to the flesh side.

Thanks for your help

Silverd

Use silk. Readily available for lining clothes. Bond it with iron on heat activated sheets of adhesive. Forgot what thats called. I'll add it later if I remember or someone else will name it.

The term might be fusible interfacing or fusible web.  Heat n Bond (sp?) is one brand.

That is a fantastic idea.  I definitely will try your suggestion!  

Many thanks

.Silverd

Does silk come in different gauges or thicknesses?  I'm out today to my local Joan's today.  

Silverd

It does.  It also comes in different textures.  I doubt JoAnns is going to have a broad selection of silk.  The ones I've been in up here stock mostly cotton for quilting or fleece with a small selection of other materials.  You might find a better source in/around LA or online.

Understand.

Do you make a lot of wallets and bags?  

Silverd

20191207_161909-1.jpg

Edited by Silverd
Add image

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Understand.

Silverd

20191207_161909-1.jpg

Shewing my ignorance, but what tools are those? I know the cobbler's hammer and the dividers, but I have never seen the other two. :huh:

4 hours ago, Silverd said:

Understand.

Silverd

20191207_161909-1.jpg

No, but I sew.

You might ask to see what they having for suit lining material.  You can cut synthetics with with a hot knife to stop the edges from fraying.

10 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Shewing my ignorance, but what tools are those? I know the cobbler's hammer and the dividers, but I have never seen the other two. :huh:

The one to the right is called a straight Channeler which I purchased from Bruce Johnson.   I don't use it for wallet making but I do when making traditional English Throat Latch Rounds for equestrian  halters and/or round reins.  It cuts a slit or channel in the U shaped section of the strap after it has been pulled through a rein breaker.  Two slits are cut one on each side of the U section, then a stitch is sewn through them that holds the round together. I sew though the channels using a Claes 30 Patcher but have purchased a Landis 16 to do this work in the future.  Landis actually made a rein rounder attachment which I hope to aquire soon. Person also made one as well as others.  A difficult process but one that yields a nice looking latch or reins.

The other tool is also a Channeler but the blade is set at an angle.  Great turn of the centry tools that still work today!  Both tools are included in the photo to evoke a sense of traditionally made products...which is how I make my stuff for the most part!

20190612_080051.jpg

20190612_080252.jpg

Edited by Silverd
Word spell

If you want world class fabric that does not fray when you cut it I get mine from Tabru in Italy. https://www.tabru.it/

Many of the larger brand names like Longchamp and Benetton use them as well. I have been using it for over 20 years now without any problems with it or them.

There is a huge range but for wallet and purse linings I use Tessuto Jacquard 263122/657 and if I want plain black RAS05/8/03.

I think the minimum buy is 100 metres but if you get something like I think 250 metres you can have your brand all through it like a lot of the brand names do now days.

They may have a dealer in the states if you care to check. They have been happy to send me a lot of samples in the past. I have a few different colours so if you are happy to pay the postage I can send some small samples of my own.

The fabric in the pics below are the Tessuto Jacquard 263122/657 as they cut on my clicker press.

DSC08315_resize.jpg

DSC08316_resize.jpg

DSC08332_resize.JPG

Very nice. Very impressive work Mr. Rocky.  Exactly what I'm targeting.  I will pursue the US rep for material samples.  I really like the idea of company branding.  About what is cost per yard of their product?

Thank you

Silverd  

Bengaline is the fabric that is used for lining bags. Don't know if that is the same that @RockyAussie is talking about. I have also used upholstery fabric to get a little more durability in bags. Don't think either would work very well in wallets. 

7 hours ago, Silverd said:

About what is cost per yard of their product?

Mid last year it cost 5 Euro per metre before freight etc.

The Tessuto Jacquard we only use for wallets and purses and bag pocket linings etc. For our bags we mostly use upholstery leathers for linings. The majority of the bags we make are crocodile though and the extra expense of the lining leather is  warranted. Tabru does have an unbelievable range of fabrics and leathers to choose from it is just a shame that they do not have an English speaking friendly web page. The customer handling and the samples you get from them makes up for this though in my experience.

Was on their site today and requested samples and pricing for the two products you recommended.  It's a start.  I was not aware they also supply lamb skin which I also use a lot of.  Thank you agan for the information.

Silverd

Wow... $5 per meter minimum 345 meter order.  You are big time man!

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Wow... $5 per meter minimum 345 meter order.  You are big time man!

Is that with the logo in it?

I generally get away with 250m on the main colour and have gotten away with 100metres on other colours if in the same order. We have been dealing with them for a long time I suppose. If it makes any difference I have never had any frayed edges on any product that came back for a revamp. Having done repairs for years I can't say how many wallets I've seen the fabric pull away from the edges except to say that it is nearly all of them if they are more than a year or 2 old. I would hate EVER getting anything back that I might feel ashamed I made. If you want to buy a metre or so to try out PM me your details and we will sort something out if you want.The colours I have in stock at present are black, dark brown, tan, red, pink & orange.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:34 AM, RockyAussie said:

Is that with the logo in it?

I generally get away with 250m on the main colour and have gotten away with 100metres on other colours if in the same order. We have been dealing with them for a long time I suppose. If it makes any difference I have never had any frayed edges on any product that came back for a revamp. Having done repairs for years I can't say how many wallets I've seen the fabric pull away from the edges except to say that it is nearly all of them if they are more than a year or 2 old. I would hate EVER getting anything back that I might feel ashamed I made. If you want to buy a metre or so to try out PM me your details and we will sort something out if you want.The colours I have in stock at present are black, dark brown, tan, red, pink & orange.

Thanks a lot for posting this, I’m on the hunt for a quality lining fabric that comes in lots of colors as well.

would you not suggest purchasing jacquard from somewhere else? I got sure can’t meet the minimums that where mentioned here!

On 1/4/2020 at 11:22 PM, Silverd said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for material suitable for use as as lining for wallets or handbags.  Possibly nylon, but in some applications I would like to bond it directly to the flesh side.

Thanks for your help

Silverd

https://www.leathercraftpattern.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Stiffener&description=true&page=2