twotrees

Has anyone ever used an "edge of the bench" skiver? See link in topic for an image

Hey all,

So I make mostly bags with a lot of turned seams and rolled edges.  Up to now I've been hand skiving which works fine - I've become better at sharpening than I ever thought I would be! - but in the meantime I've been saving up for a bell skiver.  I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but $3000 is a lot of money and I'd feel silly if I hadn't researched other less expensive options first.  

I keep seeing pictures of this strange looking device pop up when browsing for used skivers, it's usually crazy cheap and I just wondered if anyone here has ever used one and what you thought of it?  I normally skive around 3/4" to 1" of about 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 oz chrome or oil tanned leather at least by half or to a feather edge if rolling.  Is this something that's achievable on a device like this?

Thanks in advance!

"Edge of bench skiver"

There's this paring machine too, for ~10% of the price of the bell skiver:

Edited by Hardrada

22 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Better machine, much more adjustable than the other cheaper designs like the one linked to by the OP.

Tom

55 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Better machine, much more adjustable than the other cheaper designs like the one linked to by the OP.

Tom

You bet! After watching this other video, I know I want one.

This looks interesting but I wonder how well it would work on soft temper leather.  I checked out some of the Chinese made machines and it looks like they can use the old double edge safety razor blades. I wonder if that's possible with the German made machine.

Regards,

Arturo

I would personally look for a Bell skiver, you might get a good second hand one if you look around a bit. When it is up and running you will not regret it. a scharfix costs about 200 euros, i found a bell skiver for 400 and only needed a few worn parts changed which i was able to do myself.

1 hour ago, jimi said:

I would personally look for a Bell skiver, you might get a good second hand one if you look around a bit. When it is up and running you will not regret it. a scharfix costs about 200 euros, i found a bell skiver for 400 and only needed a few worn parts changed which i was able to do myself.

I've been looking for a used one for the better part of a year. I think in total I found 3 and all so far away from me that by the time I figured in shipping costs (approx 3-500 CAD) and the risk of buying it without seeing it in person, it would be just as worthwhile to buy a new one. 

On 1/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, Hardrada said:

Have you used one of these? I mostly work with softer tempered chrome or oil tanned leather for bag and back pack making and I'm concerned that this wouldn't be up to task. 

7 hours ago, twotrees said:

I've been looking for a used one for the better part of a year. I think in total I found 3 and all so far away from me that by the time I figured in shipping costs (approx 3-500 CAD) and the risk of buying it without seeing it in person, it would be just as worthwhile to buy a new one. 

Have you used one of these? I mostly work with softer tempered chrome or oil tanned leather for bag and back pack making and I'm concerned that this wouldn't be up to task. 

Nope, unfortunately; though I intend to order one in the next few weeks. I must say this thread helped me find something I need, as I work mostly with veg tan. Yes, chrome tan stretches like bubble gum, so the Schärf Fix might not be suitable for you. Wish I had the machine already so I could test it on some chrome deerskin I have here and I could report back. :(

4 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Nope, unfortunately; though I intend to order one in the next few weeks. I must say this thread helped me find something I need, as I work mostly with veg tan. Yes, chrome tan stretches like bubble gum, so the Schärf Fix might not be suitable for you. Wish I had the machine already so I could test it on some chrome deerskin I have here and I could report back. :(

I'd really like to know how this works for you. I like the way it works on veg tan in the first video and the leather in the book binding video seems to be a little softer. If it works reasonably well on softer tempered leathers it will be ideal for what I want to do. Please, let us know what you think.

Regards,

Arturo

12 minutes ago, Arturomex said:

I'd really like to know how this works for you. I like the way it works on veg tan in the first video and the leather in the book binding video seems to be a little softer. If it works reasonably well on softer tempered leathers it will be ideal for what I want to do. Please, let us know what you think.

Regards,

Arturo

It'll be some weeks till I get my hands on one, God willing, but sure, I'll report back. From what I've read, paring machines were invented by a bookbinder so I'd wager they can work with tender leathers such as lamb and goat; but still, I wouldn't want to push twotrees to purchase something he may be disappointed with.

Well, I went ahead and ordered one. Found one for around $100 on AliExpress which will be fine as a 'proof of a concept'.  I'll report back when it gets here!

Look forward to hearing about this.

Regards,

Arturo

On 1/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, twotrees said:

Have you used one of these?

Hi Twotrees, No i have not used one personally but made a similar one a while back a little smaller and used it for thinning lace down. Depending on how you pull it through then that will govern more or less your success. Looking forward to hearing your views on it when it comes, all the best.

I have one of the ebay clones, and while it looks identical, there is significant slop in every adjustment.  I was using it primarily to edge skive chrometan, and it was very difficult to keep in adjustment. When it popped out of adjustment, invariably it took a bite out of the piece of leather, ruining it.  I eventually went back to hand skiving with my knife.

I have both, a bell skiver and a Scharf. I picked up the Scharf before the bell skiver and found it to server a decent purpose for skiving down small areas. I've also found it to do very well on thinner leathers that also stretch, such as goat skin. If you can't afford a bell skiver and have had issues with hand skiving picking up a Scharf is a good option. With that being said I would advise to stick with getting a genuine article Scharf. I found mine on Amazon for a little over 200, it was on sale I think. But still it is a good skiver that will help you to increase your production times and in crease accuracy. Like most I've ruined a project by messing up on hand skiving. 

Any who, that is my two cents.