Rodzhobyz

LW.N = The Best tool in the shop

I found this forum while in search of information in an attempt to educate myself before making an investment in a leather sewing machine. In just over a week of searching / studying the archives and even a bit of feedback offered directly from seasoned members, I went from total novice to being able to confidently make a sound model choice and understand the advantages of purchasing new, from a reputable source, Bob, who I am sure will be there for me if a need arises. 

Just wanted to say thank you to all who so generously take the time to share information here. Without this resource I feel sure I would have ended up going with an overpriced, used machine, a model less suited for my needs, quite possibly worn out and certainly wouldn't have had customer support services. 

Since I am a leatherworking  novice and not really able to contribute knowledgeable assistance to the forum, I hope the monetary offering will be of at least some benefit to the membership here in return for the years of experience I am being provided. I saved myself from experiencing at least two more problems just from reading thru the archives again this morning. 

I just got home with the machine and set it up last night, (a chore my gonads are still not happy over), and even though I am still intimidated and maybe a little frightened of it, I am not worried in the least because I have access to the wealth of information collected and recorded here from contributors who have most likely already encountered and overcome most of the problems I will have or create for myself. 

Thank you all, Roger. 

Roger, no need to be frightened of the machine - now, if you had a clutch motor then I could understand you being frightened!! Scary things to a novice.

Once you get over the initial trepidation you'll be fine.

57 minutes ago, dikman said:

Roger, no need to be frightened of the machine - now, if you had a clutch motor then I could understand you being frightened!! Scary things to a novice.

Once you get over the initial trepidation you'll be fine.

So far it's actually going better than I'd expected. Just taking it slow for now & getting a feel for it, changing thread sizes & sewing different sample thicknesses ect. 

A few things I realize I wish I had thought to ask Bob about tho, like, winding the bobbin while I am not sewing at the same time and then the drop down roller guide / pressor foot lever don't geehaw so well, but so far I have found resolution to all concerns in the forum archives and overall the operation has been flawless & considering I've never used anything like it, I couldn't be more satisfied. 

Cheers. 

If you want to wind a bobbin without sewing just unthread the needle, otherwise you will have one almighty mess around the bobbin (under the feet)! I just wound 3 bobbins and pulled the bobbin out of the machine as well.

Bobbin winding time can coincide with oiling all the oil holes on the cranks inside the head as well as the shuttle race. Unthread the top and remove the bobbin and the face plate.

6 hours ago, dikman said:

If you want to wind a bobbin without sewing just unthread the needle, otherwise you will have one almighty mess around the bobbin (under the feet)! I just wound 3 bobbins and pulled the bobbin out of the machine as well.

Thanks but what had me head scratching was, most of my other machines, although non-industrial, have a means of disengaging the main shaft while winding bobbins. No biggie, just hadn't considered it till time came to actually do it. 

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Bobbin winding time can coincide with oiling all the oil holes on the cranks inside the head as well as the shuttle race. 

This I've never considered, but is probably a more effective lube method and will become S.O.P. for me. Thanks. 

On 1/5/2020 at 2:27 PM, Rodzhobyz said:

(a chore my gonads are still not happy over)

Made me laugh! (Needed that today!) 

This forum has always been a two way street for me, both learning and sharing.