myjtp

Do I need a Juki LU-562-3 if I have a Consew 206RB-2 already?

So I went to go see a ZIG ZAG machine from online but he already sold it :( but he says I have this JUKI in the back i said meh alright lemme look. SOO it turns out to be a damn walking foot JUKI LU-562-3 ( I can't resist a good walking foot ) BUT I said naw I don't need it He said well I can let it go for $130 with table and motor ( even though when you turn the motor on it sounds like a 1950 power plant buzzing then warms up ) I said what the hell deal.  Then got home and unbolted the power plant motor and tossed it.  So My questions is do I really need this walking foot if I already have the Consew 206RB-2?  I know the 562-3 has the small bobbin AND it doesn't have REVERSE " The "-3" subclasses lack the reverse mechanism, which allows for greater forward stitch length."  But are there any pros vs the Consew? or can one be used for certain thread/leather and then another for another purpose?

Thanks!

1299148469_JUKILU-562-3.thumb.jpg.5648a7c68ab915571154259d0ab38311.jpg

Edited by myjtp

I only have one machine- a Brother LS2 (Consew 206 clone) for leather- so please take this as advice from someone who has only seen other shops. 

If you have a run of items with differing threads it can pay to have a second machine set up and tuned to the heavier or lighter weight. Many shops have dedicated machines set up for one thread/weight combination.

My experience is with a local to me fellow who mainly sews upholstery- but has a Brother industrial set up in the back just for sewing Kevlar/Nomex threads for fire/DoD/Mil-spec items. The Kevlar doesn't do well in his "everyday driver" he says and it saves time with his runs and repair work.

Others with more experience Im sure will chime in but there are other threads here where folks speak of having a "specialty machine" for specific jobs.

Hope this helps- be safe and enjoy the new year!

Kerri

I would set the LU-562 up with #69 or #92 thread and use it for thin work up to 8 ounces with a #18 or #19 titanium needle. Use the Consew for work from about 9 ounces up to 20 ounces with #138 thread and a #23 titanium needle. As for reverse, use Poor Man's Reverse to lock in the starting and ending stitches.

3 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I would set the LU-562 up with #69 or #92 thread and use it for thin work up to 8 ounces with a #18 or #19 titanium needle. Use the Consew for work from about 9 ounces up to 20 ounces with #138 thread and a #23 titanium needle. As for reverse, use Poor Man's Reverse to lock in the starting and ending stitches.

Excellent details on the thread and needles! Can you explain poor mans reverse or have a YouTube link? 

17 minutes ago, myjtp said:

Can you explain poor mans reverse

Sure. Poor Men can't afford sewing machines with reverse levers. So, we spin the work around 180 degrees and sew backwards into the previous holes, locking in the original stitches.

Or......you could sew forward 3 stitches, lift the feet/needle, pull the material back to the starting stitch and sew forward again. If your stitch length isn't too long then it shouldn't look obvious. I reckon for $130 inc. table you've done well, they're a good solid machine.

When I first began sewing leather, none of my machines had a reverse lever. Now, after decades of being in and out of it, then back in again, only two of my current crop of 10 machines have a reverse lever, with 2 patchers sewing in any direction the foot is pointing. Spinning the work, or lifting the foot and pulling the work back a stitch or two is second nature to me.

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Sure. Poor Men can't afford sewing machines with reverse levers. So, we spin the work around 180 degrees and sew backwards into the previous holes, locking in the original stitches.

Haha oh ya ok just making sure that was the technique :)

If it were a 563 with reverse, I would actually keep the Juki as my primary machine.  For the price, you can do no wrong.  However, with a small bobbin and no reverse it would have limited utility in my shop.  

I'm a sucker for top loading machines like the Juki LU-563.  I've put mine head to head against a Consew 206rb-1 and a Pfaff 545 H4 and the Juki seems more capable in thick leather.  Of course I have a speed reducer on the Juki, and not on the others so it wasn't a fair comparison.  However, it surprised me the Juki surpassed even what a high lift Pfaff could do.  

2 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

If it were a 563 with reverse, I would actually keep the Juki as my primary machine.  For the price, you can do no wrong.  However, with a small bobbin and no reverse it would have limited utility in my shop.  

I'm a sucker for top loading machines like the Juki LU-563.  I've put mine head to head against a Consew 206rb-1 and a Pfaff 545 H4 and the Juki seems more capable in thick leather.  Of course I have a speed reducer on the Juki, and not on the others so it wasn't a fair comparison.  However, it surprised me the Juki surpassed even what a high lift Pfaff could do.  

Oh trust me I thought long and hard (2min) if I REALLY needed it and even said naw I already have one then he throws out the $130 price and I go errrrrrrrrrrralight!