oyvindbl

Which machines are worth keeping

I live in Norway and my mother have been a shomaker and have a few sewing machines.

She has quit her business many years ago but the machines are still there, and she would like to sell most of them. Iwould like to keep a sewing machine for sewing some belts and bags, but don't know which to keep for this.

She has a Global sewing machine for thin leathers and heavy fabrics which she keeps herself.

She also has the following machines:

Singer 29K4

Singer 45K68

Singer 45K21

Allbook Hashfield fur sewing machine

Fortuna Werke skiving machine

Pfaff industrial sewing machine (can't see the model number)

And a huge green grinding machine with several polishers and grinding wheels and dust collector tray.

Which of these machines should I keep to use for leathercraft as a hobby (I am rebuilding a 18 feet x 9 feet room to use for this), and are the rest worth trying to sell?

Sure looks like your Mom knew what she was doing... great selection/variety of machines (from my limited point of view), and I'll bet she kept them in top shape.  What has she advised? 

Are you able to post a picture of the 45K68 with it's base?

I am one of many on this list that wishes those wonderful machines where in our collection of Sewing machines.

So in my opinion, I say if you can, keep all of them.

Bert.

I would say keep them all for now too & maybe a few years down the road you'll be able to better decide which one works best for you.You shouldn't have any trouble getting them in a room that size either.

I´d agree keep em all if you have the space. I´m pretty sure your mom would be proud of you when she sees all the machines alive again! Set them up, make em all work and then you can decide. But at one point you probably will regret selling one or another machine. Other people trying to "scratch" together certain machines over a long period and you are in the fortunate position of already owning quite lot of machines - if you know wat I mean.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for your advice.

I am going to her house in a few days. Will try to take some pics then.

If it was me, I'd find the space some where..................

Bert.

I'll add my voice to the chorus to keep them, at least until you know what you want to do in this hobby. It will probably be easy enough to dispose of them but a lot harder to find them if later you decide that you should have kept them.

I have also found a singer 16k56 in the shed. It seems to be stuck. I can't find any information on this model, so any info would be great.

And she has a Pfaff wich is marked 192 638 L. Can't find any info on that one either.

@oyvindbl You have a great selection of machines there, but  I think the vote is unanimous:grouphug5vj5: Keep them all :yes: I would. Otherwise whichever machine you sell could well be the one you need in the future ....and you'd kick yourself   " DOH !!! "  And, since they belonged to your Mother,  if it was me personally, they would also  have sentimental value , which is priceless. 

HS 

Just look up Singer 16K - you may find more information this way. The subclass (56 in your case) often just describes different accessories the machine was fitted with but the main machine often is the same - not always but often! I just recently (few month ago) I discovered a Singer 16K SV 11 model no one seems to have seen before. Still have not found further detailed information but you can compare unknown subclass machines with the "standard model" and this way you find out the differences. BTW - the serial number gives you an idea when the Singer 16K has been manufactured

Same with the Pfaff 192 638 L - just look up Pfaff 192

If you don't mid please post pictures of your machines. Not only because it is interesting to see them but maybe we can figure out more details regarding the sub class so that's a good help for other people who are looking for information.

Maybe you are interested in the 16K model I have found:

I would keep the pfaff 192 since its specifically for leather and its a post bed which are not cheap to buy.  You can convert it to a flat bed sewing machine by maying a simple  raised table for it...

However, its probably not strong enough for veg tan leather you might use for belts... However, for bags and everything else ts extremely flexible

I took some pictures. Hard to see in the mess now, but the the Singer 45K68 is seems to be on a homemade welded stand with a wooden topplate.

The Allbook Hashfield Fur sewing machine and the Singer 29K4 seems to be on original table and stand

20200111_123819_resized.jpg

20200111_135819_resized.jpg

20200111_123759_resized.jpg

20200111_123803_resized.jpg

20200111_135734_resized.jpg

My Adler 105 is not to dissimilar to the 45K68 stand, my stand looks like it's made out of 1 1/4 inch angle iron, when I put it on castors I had to put 6 castors on it as it flexed so much.

They looked like they have been well looked after, mum must have liked them very much.

Yeah, I think I could make them all fit......................

Bert.

If you want to sew veg tan leather that keep the singer 45k.... It will go through anything you are likely to want to sew....

The singer 29k is a patcher machine and is really only meant for thin leather, which you would find on boots and shoes... 

The Allbrook is a fur sewing machine and is not much use for anything else...It produces a chainstitch which will completely unravel if the thread breaks... It does not break with fur coats or hats because the thread is protected by the fur itself and the lining...  I would get rid of that if you have no intention to sew fur gloves,hats, etc.... Note that these raise quite a bit of money in Europe.  Maximum 400 Euro.