Good evening all

I'm taking delivery of a new pfaff 335 clone from Bob Kovar this week.  Anyone want to make a recommendation or serve me warning?  I'll be using it to sew the perimeter of an Art deco style clutch as my first project for it...and the reason for its purchase.  

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Silverd

I already own and use:

Juki 441 Techsew Clone

Landis 16

Juki 1541S

Claes 30 Patcher

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Anyone want to make a recommendation or serve me warning?

hm - you already bought the machine (even from a dealer) and you did that for a reason. So what recommendations or warnings are you expecting? ;)

Hopefully none related to the machine its self.  Possibly tricks or tips related to this machine.  Useful accessories.  One member suggested that I buy a bobbin holder for every size thread for my Juki 1541S which I have and which has proven very effective in reducing change over time.   Just trying to leverage the knowledge of the masses.

Silverd

16 hours ago, Silverd said:

I'm taking delivery of a new pfaff 335 clone from Bob Kovar this week

So what is this machine called now?

It's a small cylinder arm single needle, clone of a Pfaff 335.  

First piece on the new 335.  2nd prototype of this model

Silverd

DecoClutch1.jpg

DecoClutch2.jpg

Well done, looks like you have a nice machine setup and sewing very nicely.

I like it.

Bert.

Yes. It does sew well.  As a Chinese knock-off it had its share of fit and finish issues associated with some of the mechanical linkage components of the upper thread tensioning system.  The tension release lever stuck open which defeated thread tension and caused the hook to jam.  This was resolved quickly by manually actuating  the mechanism several hundred times then applying grease to the interface surfaces.  I also removed the motor break pad and added a LED light bar. Most of the work I do requires precision needle placement.  I wear special prescription glasses so I can view the action close up and later will open up the needle foot toe width  to further improve viability.

I had prepared the clutch previously for the machine arrival and the perimeter sew that was required.  All other stitching had been completed earlier.  The 335 is the only machine I know of that can accomplish this particular tight radius sewing, but I'm not an expert by any stretch.  I am however happy to have a 335 type machine added to my working collection and can tell already it will be kept busy as more of my work goes toward handbag, smart phone, i-pad cases and wallet creation. The equestrian work I originally set up shop for  is simply not steady enough in my area to support a business.  See me on

Instagram: pacific.customleatherworks

Silverd

20 minutes ago, Silverd said:

The tension release lever stuck open which defeated thread tension and caused the hook to jam.  This was resolved quickly by manually actuating  the mechanism several hundred times then applying grease to the interface surfaces

That is great if it continues to work. I have a clone one as well that the in the end I had to remove one of the linkage arms at the back to stop it going past where it should and jamming the thread release tension part open. After trying all sorts of bending and grinding etc I removed it and now do not have any tension release action unless I lift with the hand lever only. Foot lift can now go extra high with no jamming ....just no thread tension release. Thankfully I don't need any thread tension release unless I am removing the job. No big deal.This is one reason why I asked what brand of 335 you have. There are a huge range of 335 types even in the original Pfaff 335 range. Knowing the machine type can help when others encounter the same problem with theirs if they do. My clone in this case is an Elizabeth TK 335

Cowboy....presser foot has a sticky action but is not effectin the tension release mech.  

Silverd

Can someone in the group make comment as to the age of this machine?  Or any information based on the model number?

Thank you!

Silverd

Screenshot_2020-04-10-10-29-20.png

6 hours ago, Silverd said:

Can someone in the group make comment as to the age of this machine?  Or any information based on the model number?

Thank you!

Silverd

Screenshot_2020-04-10-10-29-20.png

Or to the difference between these machines?  

2 hours ago, Silverd said:

Or to the difference between these machines?  

Unable to post more photos in this string.  

If it is the honey color with the brown accents, machine made in the late 1980's.

glenn

It is.  Are these models any better than the clones currently be sold by various suppliers  do you know?  I'm struggling to get consistent sewing performance from my 335 and am considering the purchase of this original pfaff.

Silverd