medivh25

211w151 not getting 5spi

I just got my 211w151 and it sews pretty well. My problem is the stitch length will not go any longer than 6 spi. Everything appears to be freed up now that ive oiled everything. The stitch length indicator is way off also. I have the service Manuel for the the machine but it is kinda vague regarding my issue.  

Prior to me getting this machine it had sat for a long time. When i set the stitch indicator to say 5spi it actually does 10spi lol, further rotating it towards me it stops at 0 and does 6 spi

Thank you for any help and you guys have a great sight here. 

Edited by medivh25

I would guess someone had the handwheel off & didn't put it back on the groove where it should be ,easy fix.Loosen the handwheel screws (down in the belt groove) & re-install.

Sometimes in this type of machine w/o a walking foot the stitch length will shorten if your sewing leather,put a piece of paper or cardboard & see if it gets longer.

Thanks for the reply!  Ill be using this machine for marine canvas stuff mostly, my test material has been two layers of duck cloth. 

Last night i did try a piece of cardboard and its still a solid 6 spi thats with the stich selector rotated all the way towards me untill it locks again and reads 0 on the wheel.

If you grab the needlebar & push it front to back is there any play?

Well after some tinkering with the feed dog hight and messing around with the feed eccentric (loosened everything up and cleaned some more) it will sew 5 spi not as consistent as id like but its a start. Thank you Cowboybob it was pretty easy as you said to get the stitch indicator ligned up right.

Any suggestions to get it more consistent at stitching 5spi? My old singer 15-91 sews 5 spi better than than this 211w151 atm. I did modify the 15-91 to achieve 5spi but it was pretty simple just have to grind down a few parts. 

Make sure there's no play in  the feed cam,there's little screws & you can adjust it with,be sure to unlock them first with the locking screw,if you get them too tight you won't be able to change the stitch length.

I think i have it set close, there is a fair bit of resistance when changing stitch length not real hard but doesn't feel loose either. I really cant complain much i love tinkering with stuff and i picked this machine up for 150 complete with table and motor.

The clutch motor is kinda fun to use, im no stranger to a standard transmission in cars. 

Cant wait till a decent walking foot machine pops up for a good price in my area.

Im waiting on new parts to arrive then ill update this post, thank you CowboyBob for your insight and help.