zoomer56

Leather Box

This is my third attempt at making a box of leather. I was inspired by the Florentine boxes I saw on the internet. I figured a man made those, well I can make one too. Well its not simple, many many steps. I took the pictures below purposely hiding the flaws. The biggest problem to solve yet is how to make the seam in the back (not shown) disappear. The four sides of the box are made by wrapping wet leather around a rectangular mold. The ends meet up in the back. For now they are square butted (I have tried feathering). Maybe the seam should be filled in with leather filler. I also like the diamond style tufted upholstery pattern so I made the floor out of pig skin. The box has a false bottom, pull it up and hide your valuables. Thanks for looking, you can see the progressing of this project at @rnlleather on Instagram.

box1b.jpg

box2b.jpg

box3b.jpg

box4b.jpg

box5b.jpg

box6b.jpg

Edited by zoomer56
clarity

That is really incredible, and definitely a niche around here!  I really like the pincushion floor.

YinTx

Well it looks gorgeous to me.  I like the tufted look, maybe it could even be padded to raise it up a bit.  Just a thought.  In any event, well done!

That is probably the most exquisite and interesting (not to mention unique) piece that I've seen on LW.net in a while. Most excellent!

Over the top Beautiful work!! Tandy has a lot of free ebooks to download, there are three on making leather cases that may help with your problem of hiding the seam, Me I would just turn it towards the wall lol.   https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/85/patterns-free-leathercraft

Nice job, outstanding

That's awesome!  Beautiful job!

Thanks all for the great comments. I did bookmark the Tandy Leather patterns link, thank you.

Really impressive work! That certainly sets a very high bar... I'm drooling!

Thank you all. This is my third box. I think if I can figure out how to hide the seam (other than not showing it in the picure) it will be perfect.