I thought I might share some pics of a scabbard I finished up recently. I thought it turned out nice, but then again I only play at leather part time so I'm not really sure. I'm hoping that somebody who actually works with leather will let me know if it's OK. I'd stick around and wait for a response but I have to get back to my day job that pays me for doing something else. :cowboy: hahahaha! Couldn't stop myself Jeff.

As for the scabbard, it's 10/11 HO Craftsman and the hardware is JWP (aka Horse Shoe) from Weaver. 

Have a great day folks!

Josh

IMG_20191130_185728598.thumb.jpg.abafa0a9e6668a6ae1f56941982d95fa.jpgIMG_20191130_185753764.thumb.jpg.230944645ec2836705c067d7884f7b78.jpgIMG_20191130_185832018.thumb.jpg.ba9fc7f577a0fdcf532201279f83692f.jpgIMG_20191130_190029654.thumb.jpg.0363936960e43852970abf10251c5b24.jpg

If you're playing, then continue to play - that does NOT suck ;)  Is the darker part due to oil not set, or just the lighting?

If you have a "job" that you "get back to", I guess that means you separate it.  Which is a requirement for me. 

Years back, I fired this guy.  I provided his phone, and when I got the bill I saw it was INSANE. HOURS of phone calls every day.  When I jumped on him about it, he said I shouldn't care because he was going to pay that bill (which was north of $400 for one month).  But HOW was he going to pay it?  With his check, that he gets from us.  But the calls were made during hours he was getting paid to work.  So basically, he thought I should be "okay with" paying him to talk on the phone, as long as he paid me back for the phone that I pay for ?!@$!@#$   IF that's hard to say, imagine trying to grasp that he ACTUALLY MEANT IT.  Nope - that guy is GONE.

What a guy working for me does before or after work is none of my business.   But few can work for me.  Not that I'm "so" hard to get along with, but I expect you to be doing what I'm paying you to do.  And that's actually the EXCEPTION these days. 

And what a guy who doesn't work for me does is none of my business, whether he's at work or not.  But there are some things a guy can do that will get him uninvited to dinner at Jeff's --- and above describes one of 'em.  I actually had one guy BRAG to me that he cashed a check for $1k each week and had managed not to do any actual work for at least 3 weeks.  I don't hang out much with people who lack integrity and then defend it with "my boss is cool with it".

8 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

that does NOT suck

Thanks Jeff!

9 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Is the darker part due to oil not set, or just the lighting?

The "finish" for this was a few coats of NF oil with several hours of sun tanning in between, then a liberal rub down with Aussie wax and back under the sun for several hours. The color variations might be played up by the lighting but most of it is in how the hide soaked in the oil & wax and how much the sun darkened some areas vs others. This time of year I often put my "sun tan" finished leather on the dash of my pickup and little things like a shadow from the rear view or the inspection sticker will impact the amount of sun and therefore darkening an area gets. 

As for work habits, our opinions aren't much different. I've got little use for people who goof off when they're on the clock. I'm not on the clock and nobody is paying for doing something I'm not doing. Although If I don't get back at it soon I'll also be feeding in the rain. 

Take care Jeff!

Josh

Ah, yeah.. the sun tan finish.  Up here, that would take month and a half!  Course, we aint got trucks no more.  After yet another person called wanting 'favors', we got rid of all of those, including the dump box.  You know the type... can't remember to mention that we got too many steaks and too much beer, but when they ready to move to new house they remember Jeff owns trucks :rofl:

20 minutes ago, dikman said:

Damn, Josh.............the problem with that is it's too beautiful to use!

That's kind of you to say Dikman! Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Jeff!

...oil & wax and how much the sun darkened some areas vs others. This time of year I often put my "sun tan" finished leather  on the dash of my pickup ...

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Ah, yeah.. the sun tan finish

Absolutely beautiful work. I love the color and I'm very curious about the "sun tan" technique you mentioned. It appears to me that the leather has been dyed. Am I right? Did you then oil/wax the surface and then leave it in the sun to darken? How long do you leave it in the sun to achieve the desired darkness? Does it need the heat from the sun or is it just the light that affects it? I haven't heard of this being done before (I'm fairly new to the craft and always learning). Again, the scabbard is incredible.

That's gorgeous.  And I've never gotten leather to tan and look like that.  Apparently I need to try a few more times.  

Well if that's just playin' i'd love to see what one would look like if you were serious about it!  Beautiful!

WOW  that's awesome and yes you could quit your day job with stuff like that. 

As is usual for your work, Josh...exceptional heirloom quality, sir! I'm with dikman...that's about too purdy to do anything with, work or sport-wise!

Edited by Double Daddy

Thanks for the kind words folks!  Much appreciated :).

As for the finish questions, no dye of any kind was used. Just NF oil (I get the 100% pure by the gallon from Weaver, but in my opinion it doesn't matter what brand or whether it's pure or the compound) and Aussie Wax. I do give it some saddle soap once I get the color I like. I apply 2 or 3 coats of oil to the grain side with a scrap of shearling, so a healthy dose then put it in the sun for anywhere from a few hours to all day. If I want it darker I'll oil more and put it back in the sun. Each hide darkens different amounts so there isn't anything real consistent, I just keep at it until I get it looking how I want. The Aussie Wax is the same, liberal coat and put it in the sun. It will darken the leather quite a bit so if you're using it you'll want to stop with the oil before you get it as dark as you want. As for whether it's the sun or heat, my best guess is that it's the sun for the darkening but you want the heat as well, especially to get the Aussie Wax to "melt" into the leather. I will also add that having the sun filtered through a vehicle windshield doesn't seem to lessen the darkening, although If I'm not worried about rain or a dog running off with it I usually put the item in direct sunlight. In my opinion this finish only works if you're ok with supple leather. I don't use it for any sort of "carry" holsters as I like them to be rigid and with this much oil and "greese" (aka Aussie Wax) the leather won't be rigid. As a word of caution, you can certainly overdo the oil, you don't want to saturate anything and applying it to the flesh side can do that in a hurry. 

I don't think this scabbard will get much use. I made it as a Christmas gift for my dad. He loved it :). It might carry a rifle on his truck seat from time to time but it might just get hung on a wall. 

Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend!

All the best, Josh

Josh, thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I can't wait to try this! Have a great weekend.

Josh thats beautiful great detail thanks for showing 

That's a fine piece of work right there!!!! Nice!!!!

I hope the rifle looks as good as that scabbard. How long is the scabbard?

Great use of different carving techniques.

Edited by noobleather

Thanks again everybody! 

Noob, Sorry I'm not at my bench now or I'd get you a measurement on that. Here are some pics of another similar scabbard I built earlier in the fall with a 20" barrel length Model 94 Winchester in in. Seeing it may give you an idea of the length. FYI, the cutting pattern for both scabbards was the same. 

All the best, Josh

IMG_20191103_091042741_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191103_091154922_HDR.jpg

More great work. No need for a measurement. Just wasn't sure what type of rifle it was for. Both are really nice for a lever action

Beautiful workmanship on both of those scabbards.  

Exceptionally nice piece! Good and functional design, perfectly executed, and the carving work ads artistry to craftsmanship.

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

Exceptionally nice piece! Good and functional design, perfectly executed, and the carving work ads artistry to craftsmanship.

Thanks Ray! Hope retirement is treating you well sir! 

All the best, Josh

That's beautiful work. 

That's a gorgeous scabbard.  I recently purchased a Marlin model 95 45-70, I think it would fit perfectly. .....just sayin. The darker color I believe is caused by all the tooling, notice that's where it's at. All the cutting, pounding, beveling definitely changes the way the leather absorbs. 

Edited by Outfitr