Frodo

Animals need your sewing machines

Tragic Fires in Aussie land.. A member on another site,  posted this.

FORGET the PAYPAL  or any of that...I am not trying to scam money

What I humbly ask is for you to help out sewing..I have sent her a PM  as to the measurements for the pouches

Exclamation fabric or yard...

So with all the fires in Australia a friend of mine in Qld got in touch w me about making mittens and joey pouches for all the animals.. If any of you guys (or the wives) take a notion to sew/knit/crochet or want to donate the means to do so .. I'm recruiting a group to make some and send over to her. Australia is a mess its true and they need a ton of these. The baby animals are being protected by the parents and they are finding them hidden under charred remains. crying.gifBreaks my icy heart.

I will also pick up fabric to make things with if you'd rather do a monetary donation.. but its not a write off as Im doing it not the benefits in Aus. I have Venmo and Paypal.

PM for mailing address.

The year before I made mittens for a wild life group, so I was looking on a few sites to see if they needed again and all I could find this time was to make PayPal donations?

Bert.

I have myself and one other guy that might be able to help. Where do I get more information? Thanks!

I saw an article on FB today that said to STOP SENDING nests and especially mittens. The mittens cannot be sterilized, and the koalas must have sterile dressing for their burned paws. Also, SO much stuff is being sent that the recipients can't cope with it all. They have all they need and are too busy caring for the animals to unpack it all.

Will provide a link if I can find the article again!

Okay, found the releavant article:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/well-meaning-knitters-told-to-stop-sending-koala-mittens-to-australia-38851220.html

This is possibly why they where not asking for them on the web site I checked.

Bert.

I'm sure donations of money will be most welcome. Just make sure you are sending it where it will do the most good. Personally, I'd see if Robert Irwin and his family (family of the late Steve Irwin)  have a charity.

And don't even THINK of sending it to PETA!!  :asoapbox:   There are some excellent suggestions here:   https://vocal.media/petlife/care-about-australia-s-wildlife-please-don-t-give-money-to-peta?fbclid=IwAR1Z_28TJr-W0Ig7zC7S-OuO5HxkqO4yV8rRCV54sz4zlAYBKsZvNVnKlXw

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

don't even THINK of sending it to PETA!! 

I have to agree with this sentiment. Unfortunately, there has also been a smear cast across all fund-raising charities. Apparently some (or all) are retaining a portion of the funds "for future disaster events". So, they are not distributing funds to the people the donations were intended for. Red Cross, S. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army plus others have been mentioned in the media for not distributing funds adequately. I have no idea if any or all allegations are true. 

This will be the last time I give to the Big Charities this time, my heat goes out to some of these people and animals and to think some one miles away in a big office only thinking of their bonuses and not giving what was given to them to help, is not good.

We lost our Red Cross shop, because it was not making enough money to pay head office mega bucks, but it helped a lot of people locally. Sadly I know of several towns that lost their Red Cross Charity Shops.

I will be giving my donations to the Fire Fighter, from now on.

Bert.