Forester

Distressed Plainsman Holster.

Hi All

Distressed Plainsman Holster, To Fit 1873 Colt SAA With 7.5 Inch Barrel. Not easy to dirty it up after spending a few days making it! Any advice on ageing would be welcome as this is the first time I have tried it. Made from laminated 6-7 oz veg tan leather and sand coloured suede with reduced Fiebings walnut pro dye. Inspiration from Chuck Burrows RIP.

Regards Forester

DSCF9089_opt.jpg

DSCF9094_opt.jpg

DSCF9095_opt.jpg

DSCF9099_opt.jpg

DSCF9100_opt.jpg

DSCF9101_opt.jpg

That's a nice rig alright, I like how you did the plug especially. When I want something distressed I let my teenage son use it for a couple of weeks lol.

Very nice Forester! great job!

I've heard that a great way to "distress" leather is to throw it in a clothes dryer for a while. I tried it once, put a brand new, slightly damp holster in the dryer with a load of towels my better half had just finished drying. Left it in for about 30 minutes and it did seem to "age" the leather a fair amount. That was some time ago and haven't had the urge to try it again, so that that for what it's worth. you might experiment around a little and see if it works for you. 

Anyway, again, great job! That's a nice looking holster! 

Best, Josh

Looks well.

I concur. No more to distress it. When you think it needs 'just a wee bit more' - thats when to stop. Less is more

I watched a u tube vid on this item. the guy used candle wax rubbed on the project n rubbed it with some kind of pad. if you google dieselpunk.ro u can review the vid. for yourself.

Distressing a holster is a bit like weathering model planes and tanks, the trick is to look at the parts that will get worn, like edges and raised parts, whereas areas that are "protected" by being below the surface level will not show wear, but may fade a bit or get darker from built up grime.

Nice work is the toe plug stitched in it's hard to tell from the photo thanks for showing

Yes the toe plug is stitched in, I make the groove nice and deep, makes it neat and easier to sew in.

HI Forester

Chuck would have been proud and Kid Terico would have bought it.

Later

Now I like this one a lot.  Good design and I like the lining.  I always line my holsters too.  It looks great the way it is.  When you figure out how to age it please post another picture.

Hello All

I am happy with the ageing, just wondered how other leather workers aged theirs.

Regards Forester

On 1/11/2020 at 4:17 AM, cardinal leather said:

I watched a u tube vid on this item. the guy used candle wax rubbed on the project n rubbed it with some kind of pad. if you google dieselpunk.ro u can review the vid. for yourself.

This^

You have to experiment with the type of wax and/or felt pad.

Hi All

It sold today, so somebody likes it.

Regards Forester

Really nice job

On 5/23/2020 at 10:50 AM, Forester said:

Hello All

I am happy with the ageing, just wondered how other leather workers aged theirs.

Regards Forester

Here's a video I made making and aging a cartridge belt. It's the same techniques I use for holsters.

great video, Man it takes some work to make something look used lol.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, Chakotay said:

Here's a video I made making and aging a cartridge belt. It's the same techniques I use for holsters.

I watched all of your videos when I was first starting out and still go back to them.