Steffekg

Juki DDL5550-6

I am new to leather working, and am looking for a sewing machine at a reasonable price to get started doing the things I want to do, such as belts, pad folios, wallets, purses and other lighter leather things. I was pursuing craigslist for my state and came across a Juki DDL5550-6 that comes with a table and a brushless servo motor. for under $500. I did a search in the archives for this machine but could not find anything on it, I also searched the web and did not really find any reviews from others on it either(maybe I am just looking in the wrong spots?). Is this a good price for the machine, when were they made, how hard is it to get parts or service for the machine, as well as what kind of weights could I expect to be able to sew with the machine if it is even worthy of doing leather work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

How does it compare to the Juki DDL8700?

I dono much, yet, but From taking a look at that model type on eBay, I'd guess it's be like sewing with an airplane propeller. 8000 per min?

I didn't see walking foot mentioned either, so I wouldn't think this would be anything like what you are after for sewing leather, but someone knowledgeable will be along shortly I am certain. 

The Juki DDL-5550 is a oil pump equipped, very high speed, cloth garment sewing machine. It is not suitable for leather or heavy thread. The normal speed this machine sews at is about 80 stitches per second.

1 hour ago, Steffekg said:

How does it compare to the Juki DDL8700?

Similar machines, depending on the sub-model. Both classes are high speed apparel sewing machines, meant for thin thread, small needles and cloth garments. Speed is between 4000 and 5500 stitches per minute. Needs to spin fast to pump oil to the extremities.

Thank you!!

Wiz is correct about this being a high speed machine, I have one and use it a fair bit at my speed, which is not that fast. I also oil it in a few areas regularly.

I use it to sew light leather and medium canvas, it does it well, but it is not a heavy duty leather sewing machine, as I was told when I purchased it.

I like it, for all my light sewing.

Bert.