ABHandmade

Lion cub

Not for product, just to hang on the wall :)
Carving and embossing using leather inserts. Size 21 x 30 cm (8 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches). The maximum height of the relief is 15 mm (about 1/2 inch).
Leather thickness 3-4 oz.
View after carving, not yet fully dried.
It’s still in fluctuations - need I do full-color coloring or just emphasize the details. In any case, spirit dyes will be used.DSC_1442.JPG

Edited by ABHandmade

ALREADY looks great, but I WILL be back to see the color ;)

beautiful!!! 

Once again my gast is absolutely flabbered. Great work.

17 hours ago, JLSleather said:

ALREADY looks great, but I WILL be back to see the color ;)

Thank you, Jeff! I hope colored variant will not disappoint you much :)

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful!!! 

Thank you!

17 hours ago, toxo said:

Once again my gast is absolutely flabbered. Great work.

Thanks! :)

14 hours ago, Northmount said:

Wow!  Always great work you do.  Looking forward to the final product.

Many thanks, Tom! The process will be unhurried - the long weekend is over ;)

Spirit dyes and acrylic paints applied. It's done :)

DSC_1598_01.JPG

Roughly the amount of stunning I had anticipated (give er take a smidgeon) ;)

FANTASTIC picture!

8 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Roughly the amount of stunning I had anticipated (give er take a smidgeon) ;)

FANTASTIC picture!

Thank you so much, Jeff!

Wow!

As amazing as that looks as a JPEG on my laptop screen I imagine it's even more impressive in person. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:16 AM, maxdaddy said:

Wow!

As amazing as that looks as a JPEG on my laptop screen I imagine it's even more impressive in person. 

Thank you!

The photographer from me is not very good. ;) Indeed, some details that are present in this work are lost in the photo. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, eeroyale said:

Wow!!!

Thanks! :)

Edited by ABHandmade

Nothing wrong with your photography!  No hot spots, evenly lit, not over or under exposed.  When I was doing a lot of photography many years ago, I bought a cheap twin-lens reflex camera simply because it had a 6x6 cm film format.  When I compared photos of the same scene taken with the typical 35 mm SLR and the 6x6 format, I was astounded at how much more detail was available in the negatives and prints.  So applying the same logic to digital cameras, need a large sensor, with high resolution, to achieve the same end.  And set the camera to save large files.  (Raw data is best, but not all cameras and software work together nicely.  Takes more work.)  The larger files should retain more of the finer detail.  Then of course, how you print them or what monitor screen you are using can degrade the detail. 

Wonderful work!

Tom

Tom, many thanks! And especially for the tips. I tried to squeeze a little more out of my camera, setting the format for saving RAW instead of the JPG. This transferred the processing to a computer that handles conversion to JPG better. But still, the matrix of my camera introduces quite strong distortions, which are exacerbated by my inability to work with lighting. But I will train :)

Ah posted in the gallery thread, and then  tried to edit my post when I saw the size, but the board and my browser "play" badly even when I'm logged in.

As I said in that post..unless I'm logged in I don't see postings to the gallery, so I missed this one ..

Beautiful work there, as always..The texture on the fur ( that slightly "fuzzy" "cub fur"..and the expression on the face..exquisite :)

I'm not usually "signed in" and so don't see the gallery posts..just noticed this one.. :)

What is the size of this one ?..Ah belay that....I just saw the size..

The initial "comment" window hid your first post ..so around A4.

As Tom says..your photography is fine..if you were using "old style" silver halide, 6x6 would be perfect for you..The film can still be found..look for second hand cameras with German lenses..Bronica ECTLs were always cheaper than Hasselblads..

If digital ( not 6x6 ) but "full size" sensors..Look at the Panasonic FZ1000 lovely "glass" in the lenses..or in their superzooms ( Leica glass ) the DMC FZ200 or DMC FZ300..I have both the FZ200 and the FZ300..more portable than the FZ1000 and a bit more "reach"..and "fast glass" for superzooms..Nice in studio too..Almost any "European" glass is wonderful on any camera..

Software ..try Darktable..It has many "lens profiles" included , and is free and is similar to lightroom..and now available for windows too..Match it with Gimp 2.10 or later and you can do wonders in Windows or Linux..

Wow.  Your work is amazing and the color is stunning.

Mike, many thanks for tips on the lense and camera!

And for the comment about my work, too. :)

6 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Wow.  Your work is amazing and the color is stunning.

Thank you, @Scoutmom103!

Time for a little experimentation.  Try using a low angled raking light from one side to show up texture.

https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-the-week/lighting-for-texture-12-31-12/

https://www.learningwithexperts.com/photography/blog/understanding-lighting-direction

There are more examples out there, especially landscapes, but the information applies here as well.

Tom

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

Time for a little experimentation.  Try using a low angled raking light from one side to show up texture.

https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-the-week/lighting-for-texture-12-31-12/

https://www.learningwithexperts.com/photography/blog/understanding-lighting-direction

There are more examples out there, especially landscapes, but the information applies here as well.

Tom

Thank you, Tom. I will try to experiment a bit based on what I learned from your links. And if my result will be worthy of attention - I will share it :).

Simply stunning and incredible!

On 2/13/2020 at 1:22 AM, DrmCa said:

Simply stunning and incredible!

Thank you!

I tried to shoot a short video to demonstrate the volume and details.

PS. I apologize if there are "too many of me" on the forum.

https://youtu.be/POIkzr-nyyI

Edited by ABHandmade

2 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

short video

Great job, both the lion and the video.  Can't have too many examples to demonstrate real talent.  Something for us to aspire to someday!

Tom

Thank you, Tom. I just want to say that on LW has a lot of talented people whose experience and advice are worth its weight in gold. And you are definitely on this list. I still take more than I give.

OMG!!! The detail is INCREDIBLE!!!!  There is so much more than I could see in the photos!  Thank you so much for taking that video and posting it for all of us to see. 

I really look forward to your posts and I know others do to.  The more the better when it come to your level of work.  We can all appreciate and learn from it.

Maybe some day you could do a video of you actually doing some tooling. You wouldn't even have to talk. Just watching you work would be amazing!