jujulolo

Which combination dye / antique finish color ?

Hello !

So far I have only used eco flo gel antique because it was easy.

I would like now to try fiebing’s pro dye followed by fiebing’s antique finish.

I read a lot of threads on the subject but some things are still not really clear for me and I hope you will help me to understand::

-          How do I match the colors between the dye and the finish? Does the antique have to be of the same color than the dye (dark brown/ dark brown for instance) or does the antique has to be darker than the dye (light brown /dark brown)?      

-          is it necessary to add another layer of resolene after the antique?    

-          Is it possible to use antique finish on undyed natural carved veg-tanned lather (after resolene)?    

Thanks for your help!

Answering your questions in order:

1. I prefer to use a darker antique than the dye color. It makes a higher contrast look that I like. Using the same color will work, but the contrast will be lighter ( if any at all ) so it depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

2. Yes. A final finish coat will protect the antique. The traditional steps are: light coat of oil (optional), dye (optional), resist, antique, and final coat. 

3: Yes. Most of the older work you see is not dyed. Similar steps as #2. Oil (optional), resist, antique, finish.

Also, I still use a lot ot the eco-flo gel. Very easy to use, and gives natural leather a real nice color. I like the Briar brown, and Mahogany.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TSes
added info

What type of oil do you use?

Pure neatsfoot oil.

Thanks.  Also wondering.  I have been been doing some projects where I both dye, antique and use acrylic leather paint on part of the tooled area.  I tried doing painting first then adding several coats of resist (super shene) and then dye but the dye changes the color of the paint.  So, I'm going to try dye, resist, antique, resist, paint and then finish.  Is that the correct order or should I be doing it some other way?

That should work.

Just a reminder that acrylic paint doesn't work well over any kind of oil.

Regards,

Arturo

8 hours ago, TSes said:

That should work. But I don't use paint, so I'm not sure if it would hold up. Probably best to experiment on some scrap.

Edited by TSes

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  I skidded the optional oil part first because of Arturo's comments.  Otherwise worked well.  I  intend to experiment using oil before acrylic but haven't gotten around to it yet.