dadam38

Belt Alteration

I was asked if I could alter a  couple of belt for a customer that had lost a significant amount of weight. They are caiman so i dont think he wants to get something brand new. The problem is they look machine stitched, so if i cut off the end, then the stitching will start to come out. I dont own a sewing machine and dont even know how to use one, so would it be possible to back-stitch by hand and then hand stitch the new end? 

Thanks for the advice

Adam 

2020-01-14.thumb.jpg.1aec775c7ed4c5f0dae58bc67ad04a72.jpg

yes you can. remove the old thread and stitch again by hand in the holes.

Edited by paloma

Which end of the belt are you doing this on? I ask because you are showing the tongue.

If possible, I think you want to take it from the buckle end.

You might want to put a drop of super glue in the holes that will be near the cut, to keep the stitches from coming out.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

I would take it apart from the buckle end the good part is you can pick the stitching out only to where your going to fold the belt make a new elonggated hole for the buckle then re stitch only the back of the foldthen new screws or whatever to hold the buckle on hope this helps.

Why didn't i think of that! Thats a great idea! Thank you

If he asked me to do it, . . . I would tell him I'm cutting his belt dead center between the hole he uses most, . . . and the buckle end.

I would then add a piece of vegetable tanned leather with his last name on it, . . . with the cut ends very nicely laced together, . . . or a piece of fake caiman, . . . again the cut ends nicely laced together.

That way the front of his belt where most people will notice it, . . . will look like it is the original, . . . and anyone seeing the rear, . . . would have to guess that the belt was originally designed like that.

May God bless,

Dwight