Teslabolt

How to remove bobbin case from Consew 206RB-2

Newbie here. Just took delivery of my first sewing machine. 206RB-2

Can anyone point me to some decent videos on how to thread a Consew and how to remove and thread the bobbin? Several videos, but they are all telling me something different or not getting in close enough to where I can actually see what the heck they are doing.

Thread kept fraying and snapping as I was moving slowly through some 4 oz leather. 

I broke an "ear" off of the front of the bobbin trying to remove it so I also need a recommendation on where to get a new bobbin case. 

Ugh - the trials of learning something new. Good times. 

Jeremy

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

those model bobbin cases are mass produced and plentiful . just grab one off amzon or ebay -10-$ .

edit add : . . as long as your needle is ( Up ) and not sticking down into the bobbin assembly , your bobbin case should just pop in/out without a problem . takes quite a bit of force pulling on the lever to snap it off . Any idea why you had to pull so hard and the bobbin case would not slide out ?

-

https://youtu.be/SndtAjJ-pww?t=75

-

Edited by nylonRigging

Good question. I had the needle in the upmost position. 

Thanks for the link. I have seen that one. That video just shows putting it back in. Can't find any that show how to take it out. 

Finally got it out but sliding the spring mechanism one way. Isn't there supposed to be a spring inside to provide tension on the spool?

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

One last thing, for now, is there supposed to be a cover around the upper and lower pinion gears? 

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

Yes.. there suppose to be spring tension on the flip lever . If you talking about a 'backlash' spring inside bobbin cover ? some do and some don't come with . If buy an aftermarket bobbin cover, I see most of them come with a backlash spring .

Yes .. my Consew ( manual oil ) , has a ( tin, grease-pack cover ) top and bottom over the gears . I have some machines 'not consew' that don't have grease cans, but my old RB model does have them .

You can probably lookup the part# of the grease covers and get a couple . they keep the table drip-pan a lot cleaner with having them , but can do without the grease packs and just lube when you go threw and lube on your regular maintain cycle  . I just pack the tin covers with that juki grease in a tube, or just Vasoline/petroleum jelly good also, as you not running a high speed sweatshop .

Edited by nylonRigging

Great, thanks so much for the response, nylonRigging. 

Is there supposed to be an oil pan on mine? 

Also, there is no "head post" sticking out of my table to rest the unit on when tipped over. Does anyone have an idea what I can use?

Wondering if the missing oil pan is the reason that this thing doesn't sit flush with the table. 

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

You need to bring the needle up and then down just a little then the bobbin will come easy. It has to be in the same position to put the bobbin back in. It will not come out when the needle is in the furthest up position.

Yes, ..that be nice to have that drip pan, will be mess all over without . I don't see knee lift linkage there either for presser foot ?
you can make some adjustments ( leveling ) to the way you Head height sits with table top cutout, by the felt pads bumpers in the corner cutouts up front . And there is a hole drilled on the table tops for a wood post back there somewhere to stick a post .

Edited by nylonRigging

Just now, nylonRigging said:

Yes, ..that be nice to have that drip pan, will be mess all over without . I don't see knee lift linkage there either for presser foot ?
you can make some adjustments ( leveling ) to the way you Head height sits with table top cutout, by the felt pads bumpers in the corner cutouts up front .

I have not installed the pedal linkage or the knee lift yet. How do I adjust the height with the bumpers?

Can see much with your pic's but ( industry standard ) almost all cutouts same , and you got Felt or Rubber corner tabs (bumpers) in the routed-out corners for riding  flush height with table top . I see rubber corners up front there in your Pic. in the cut routing .

Rubber in the corners. Just not sure what's adjustable. 

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Hinged corners heights and front corners . You can pull the rubber corner off . There probably a couple finish Nails or Staple, with the the head just buried below the surface . If it was routed a little to deep or the rubber bumper to low . pull it out and add a spacer under it to add little height 'till satisfied' , nail it back down and bury the the nail heads so the head not banging the head corners .

206RB-1 parts book

Helical gears top and bottom have gear covers that are packed in grease.  Line up the two white dots on the left side of the handwheel with the white dot on the casting.  If everything is adjusted correctly, this is the point where we remove the bobbin case.  These dots are the one and only thing they are there for, in this case.

See attached.

206RB-2WhiteDotsLineUp.jpg

206RBBobbinCaseRemove.jpg

Perfect. Thanks, Gregg!

The takeup lever isn't quite at its highest position when the dots are lined up. It seems to be about an inch off on the wheel if I hand turn it until it is at top dead center, so to speak. 

Do you by chance have info on how to adjust the presser foot pressure for the -1?

Just on a note about those top and bottom , gear, grease pack covers . There not for just making extended lubrication maintenance . Those covers make for making a 'much quieter' operating sew machine . I was sewing on a cheaper Mitsubishi model that has no helical gear covers packed in grease . that thing is Obnoxiously LOUD  .Those grease pack covers dampen out a lot of noise .

1 minute ago, nylonRigging said:

Just on a note about those top and bottom , gear, grease pack covers . There not for just making extended lubrication maintenance . Those covers make for making a 'much quieter' operating sew machine . I was sewing on a cheaper Mitsubishi model that has no helical gear covers packed in grease . that thing is Obnoxiously LOUD  .Those grease pack covers dampen out a lot of noise .

Thanks for the tip. I definitely plan on adding those. 

On my older 206rb, you have to line up the white dots just like Gregg said.  Then the bobbin case pops right out.

You also need a drip pan unless you plan to get oil on your knees while stitching.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar