Chief Filipino

Tree Climbing Spurs "Repair"

Hello Everyone! It's been too long since I've been on here, been busy grinding 9 to 5 and burning the midnight oil with leathercrafting! I had a coworker ask me if I could repair his tree climbing spurs because the strap broke. He just gave them to me today. I can see why the strap broke, they have been neglected for a long time and the leather is dry/brittle. What I thought would just be a simple strap replacement will need to be a whole rebuild of the leather bits. My coworker said that everyone he asked would NOT take on this project. I didn't ask how many people he talked to nor if he couldn't afford for them to redo. 

Why would these other people turn him down? Am I not thinking of something that they know? I understand that I'm putting a HUGE liability on myself (if I take it on), could that be why others turned him down? I was talking with some other people and they suggested having him sign a waiver, which I will definitely do. 

Has anyone made these before? 
What leather should I use? Latigo? Saddle skirting? Harness leather? I assume that I should go with at the very least 10oz but was leaning more towards 12oz. 

Should I use brass rivets? Or should I use copper? I'm leaning towards brass because those are such a PITA to cut through compared to copper. 

Here are some pictures. I'll comment below this post with more, it's not letting me upload others right now. 

Any thoughts, suggestions, and comments are welcome. 

Thank you! 

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.0fc060cd991d7b1ed6ea0ab346044071.JPGIMG_0088.thumb.JPG.838257acd4e190e47fd8617cb5a2012f.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Last picture. It looks like these were hand made? At least based off the stitching and this short cutting of the corner makes me think it's hand made. Does anyone know anything about the company? 

IMG_0091.JPG

The company (Stringer-Brooks) went out of business about 10 years ago.  Their designs are still in use by linemen in electrical work and arborists. A couple wildland fire fighters I know have them for their mitigation work.

No idea if any of their tools/pads were hand crafted.

I agree with Chief Filipino, looks hand made. And that brings up another concern, were the tree climbing spurs that he has made correctly? I would guess the liability is the big issue. Signing a release sounds like a good idea but if he is injured, or he lends them to another person who is not an experienced "tree squirrel", a signed waiver will not really protect you in court. 

Tree climbing is a pretty dangerous activity and he should buy a new set of spurs and keep you out of it. If you want to do something for him, make him a belt. 

Having had one, . . . bad . . . experience with those things, . . . I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

The person using them MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH and MUST PRACTICE with them or they will get hurt.

My one time going up a short pole to change a yard light sensor, . . . they cut out on me on the way down, . . . 30 years later I still have the scar on my face.

If he wants to do that kind of work, . . . it's important that he has the proper equipment, . . . that looks old and maybe worn, . . . certainly not trustworthy for life and limb.

May God bless,

Dwight

The leather and stitching is identical to mine, so I'd say it was made by the company.

You have to know what you are doing before you take the first step off the ground.  Are you climbing a tree with pole gaffs, or vice/vise versa?  I had a few scars on my chest before a timber guy read me in on the gaffs and how to set them in the bark to get to real wood.   Copy what you have, rivets and all.  Waivers are nice to have.  Get one!  If you can do a saddle or good rivet work you should not be afraid if this.   Those haven't seen a tree in thirty years or so.....   

God bless

Ok , on the one hand I would use  5-6mm harness, thats what I use on stirrup straps etc.  , something that takes the weight  of an adult, however, I'd be very worried about the liability .

4 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

The company (Stringer-Brooks) went out of business about 10 years ago.

So why did they go out of business?  hope it wasn't a liability issue? 

HS 

By your own words, you are going to operate outside of your comfort and skill range in a area that can kill someone, far better to stay within your comfort zone and decline this request on safety grounds regardless of any so called waver

Climbed for 35 years, the gaff part is either way worn/filed down or a pole gaff which is shorter/wider. As for the leather I'd recreate what's there with harness leather. The brunt of the force when using climbers is in the stirrup, the straps just cinch them to your boot and calf.

Those are pretty used up and there are much better climbers out there, Buckingham, Klien, and my favorite Bashlin. 

My knees don't miss me climbing...

climbersred.jpg

Hey Chief. I've seen your skill set in leather grow leaps and bounds over the years. I have little doubt that you could fix or recreate this and as an engineering exercise I'd say go for it. The other side of course is the legal side of "what if" this generally why people have waivers. Waivers are in my experience. Which is likely more experience than most (I work and teach and train in extremely high risk areas where people get hurt or worse on an almost daily basis) is that waivers are not worth the paper they are written on as waivers are built in the premise that one has the knowledge training and experience on the thing being signed off on! And that all reasonable precautions have been taken. In short it's often fairly easy to prove negligence which voids the waiver. In the safety business there is a reason my hard hats and body armour and harness get changed out every 5 years...even when it's not needed to do so. As I said I believe you have the skills to do this and should take it on as an exercise.

I think you can easily repair them as well or better than new but any insurance company more than likely would not protect the wearer if he did get hurt no matter if your work failed or not, OSHA wouldn't accept it either. Personally if an employee of mine brought in safety gear that was altered or rebuilt by anyone other than the manufacturer or people qualified to do repairs on their product it would be a get them out of here situation. That is why people sue the repairers  because they get these things repaired without thought of  laws, rules and insurance companies then when they get hurt they have no other options to cover their own personal negligence of not just buying a new pair. Yes we live in a world devoid of common sense.  

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Ok , on the one hand I would use  5-6mm harness, thats what I use on stirrup straps etc.  , something that takes the weight  of an adult, however, I'd be very worried about the liability .

So why did they go out of business?  hope it wasn't a liability issue? 

HS 

From what I could find out (danged ole internet) it wasn't anything to do with liability. I think there were just better, more economical products out there.

Thank you all for your advice! I brought up my concerns with my coworker I've gotten a better idea and feel for the situation. He has been climbing for years and uses all the additional safety lines, etc. I do feel that this is within my skill range, the biggest concern being the liability should something happen. He had some fiberglass newer ones that were stolen out of his truck along with a whole bunch of other equipment, these will just be a temporary use while he saves up money for a new pair and he's had these for a long time so there is sentimental value to them as well. Replacing the leather will give them new life for a little while until he gets his replacement pair so I think I'll give it a go.

Thank you all again!