Sign in to follow this  
TDM

Ferdco Pro 2000

Looking at picking up a new pro 2000. I'm in northern Utah and have a local dealer to buy from. It comes with a flat table attachment and a saddlemaker attachment group. With local help and no shipping I feel ok with it all. I'm just looking for thoughts of users of this machine.

Ask the dealer if he will support the machine with parts and operating assistance should anything go wrong. Ferdinand Sewing Machine Company has been out of business for a while now and their machines were mostly customized from Japanese casings, not just rebadged. This brand has been discussed before on Leatherworker.net

You can use Google to search out site for all references to Ferdco using this search term:

site: leatherworker.net ferdco

Thank you that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I just need to move on to Steve or CowboyBob. 

@TDM,

Wizcrafts makes some really good points, but I don't think he was saying you should stay away from Ferdco machines. I think he was promoting you to find out what the dealer will stand behind, as you should with any dealer.  I would ask the dealer those questions that Wizcrafts poses, before I dismissed the idea totally.  Just because Ferdco is no longer in business, does not mean that they are bad machines or a bad choice.  I picked up a used Ferdco Pro 2000 several months back, as it was the only thing I could find that was in pick up distance, that allowed me to get a 16 inch arm 440 clone without paying shipping and tax. Not to mention that the price was right. I am extremely happy with the decision I made, as the machine sews great. Sure, I don't have dealer support, but I am very capable of fixing just about any type of machery, especially with the great help and information that I find here.  You just need to weight the cost savings, against the value of local support, against your ability to work on machinery, and make your decision based on those factors. 

If the dealer is truly local,  go down (take some veg tanned leather with you) and demo the machine, and get some questions answered. Once you have done that, then decide if you need to look elsewhere.

Edited by RemingtonSteel