miker

strap cutting machine question!

Hello everybody! 

I just bought a used strap cutting machine! My question is about the plastic cylinder! Is it supposed to freely rotate or when i turn the flywheel? The blades are tightened on the upper metallic cylinder and turns only when the flywheel is turned!

20200116_170240-1843x1382.jpg

It may depend on the machine and your picture is too close to be sure. The ones I have and all the others I've seen the bottom roller turns with the top meaning they are connected by gears. If the bottom plate is hinged and taken down too far it may be possible to disengage the gears perhaps. The top that at the moment shows no blades looks too close to the nylon roller for that to be likely so I can only ask for a few more pictures taken further back. If the nylon roller is turning freely then it has not been tightened up correctly and will cause damage.

The 2 shafts are indeed connected with gears. Right now this plastic cylinder is not fixed with it's shaft. I believe it should be fixed and not freely rotating. I will make a few more picture and I have to order some new blades.

The plastic cylinder i think is ok. I tightened the screw seen on image 1.

I will do some work and i will be back with more pictures and questions!

Strap  1.jpg

Strap  3.jpg

The machine is ready! The only "problem" is the motor! I used an old i have from a sewing machine. It is a fast one! 2800rpm. I am looking for a smaller pulley to reduce the speed.

20200208_163138-1843x1382.jpg

20200208_161619-1382x1843.jpg

20200208_162813-1843x1382.jpg