I usually use chrome tan as a liner instead of the main body of projects. But this stuff was really nicely finished. So I made this card wallet. Thanks for lookin! Critique always welcomed too. 

20200115_222414-858x1101.jpg

20200115_222435-858x573.jpg

20200115_222526-858x1144.jpg

Nice! I like the curved slots

Nice. What is that color?

Looks nice.  I agree it is attractive leather.  I like the creasing too.

4 hours ago, motocouture said:

Nice! I like the curved slots

Thanks. Me too. 

2 hours ago, sinpac said:

Nice. What is that color?

Dark cherry I think it was called. 

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Looks nice.  I agree it is attractive leather.  I like the creasing too.

Thanks!  Double creased  

On 1/17/2020 at 3:13 AM, GutierrezLeatherworks said:

Nice I just did one too but I’m having trouble with my vertical pockets tight 

B6195BBE-F2A7-4E73-8D60-C3FE1CCE6957.jpeg

If your vertical pockets are too tight there are 3 things I'd suggest you try. 

1. Depending on your leather thickness (mone is all 3 oz) you may need to skive down the sides and bottom of your pockets to thin them out a bit. Extra bulk will make them tighter.

2. It looks like the stitching on the left side of your vertical pockets has a sizable seam allowance. I would recommend making your stitching guideline 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. 3/16 is my preference (about 4 mm) this will keep the stitching from encroaching the space of the card pocket preventing the card from being inserted easily.

3. Finally, simply make the card slot bigger. You need to account for the thickness of leather you are using for the pockets as well as your seam allowance. Try measuring the card width (should be about 2 1/8 inches) then add twice your seam allowance plus leather thickness. So using 4 oz leather that is 2(3/16 + 1/16)=1/2". Add this to the measurement. The width of your card slot (as a starting point) is 2 5/8" wide. If using 3 oz possibly 2 1/2" would work. 

On 1/17/2020 at 4:13 AM, GutierrezLeatherworks said:

Nice I just did one too but I’m having trouble with my vertical pockets tight 

B6195BBE-F2A7-4E73-8D60-C3FE1CCE6957.jpeg

Hi, I was wondering what process you are using to create your stitching holes.  Are you using an awl or chisels.  It appears that some of your lines are straight but they get wobbly in other instances.  If we knew your process we can probably help you sort it out so that all of your stitching lines are straight.  You did a nice job on the interior side of the vertical pockets.  

On 1/19/2020 at 10:52 PM, Stetson912 said:

If your vertical pockets are too tight there are 3 things I'd suggest you try. 

1. Depending on your leather thickness (mone is all 3 oz) you may need to skive down the sides and bottom of your pockets to thin them out a bit. Extra bulk will make them tighter.

2. It looks like the stitching on the left side of your vertical pockets has a sizable seam allowance. I would recommend making your stitching guideline 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. 3/16 is my preference (about 4 mm) this will keep the stitching from encroaching the space of the card pocket preventing the card from being inserted easily.

3. Finally, simply make the card slot bigger. You need to account for the thickness of leather you are using for the pockets as well as your seam allowance. Try measuring the card width (should be about 2 1/8 inches) then add twice your seam allowance plus leather thickness. So using 4 oz leather that is 2(3/16 + 1/16)=1/2". Add this to the measurement. The width of your card slot (as a starting point) is 2 5/8" wide. If using 3 oz possibly 2 1/2" would work. 

Thanks I’ll try that out 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tugadude said:

Hi, I was wondering what process you are using to create your stitching holes.  Are you using an awl or chisels.  It appears that some of your lines are straight but they get wobbly in other instances.  If we knew your process we can probably help you sort it out so that all of your stitching lines are straight.  You did a nice job on the interior side of the vertical pockets.  

I used a 2mm 2 pronged chisel 

3 hours ago, GutierrezLeatherworks said:

Thanks I’ll try that out 

I used a 2mm 2 pronged chisel 

Using that 2 prong chisel around corners and then switching to a 6 or 8-prong chisel in the straight runs will help keep things straight.  Also, making sure to hold the iron plumb.  It is very easy to allow the iron to lean and it results in wavy stitching.  BTW, I like the 2mm size for a lot of the types of projects I do, it seems perfect.

What weight is the leather and where did you purchase it?  I purchased some 3-4 oz. leather hoping to use it for wallets and card holders  but it is to flimsy. I have much to learn about leather.

36 minutes ago, 67flh said:

What weight is the leather and where did you purchase it?  I purchased some 3-4 oz. leather hoping to use it for wallets and card holders  but it is to flimsy. I have much to learn about leather.

This is 3/4 oz. Probably closer to 4. I got it at makers leather supply. I'm not sure if they still have it or not as I got it a good while ago. 

I know what you mean about it feeling flimsy. Some leathers are softer and others have a firmer feel. I would give it a go with what you have and see how it comes out. 

This wallet has a t slot and bottom pocket on a panel to make the card pockets. That assembly is then stitched to the back. So it is essentially 2 layers of 3 oz or so and that can stiffen it up a bit. 

Thank you!