Teslabolt

Tension Release Lever Rod

I am having a myriad of issues threading my new to me used Consew 206RB-1 - the Lower thread is very loose. See pics. 

Watching other videos on how to thread the machine, there is one where the YouTuber states that when the foot lever is up, it will release the tension on the discs. Well, mine does not and I can't figure out why. See video. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 3.31.10 PM.jpg

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

Edited by Teslabolt
added two more pics

Can you send us a video on you threading the machine?  We might be able to tell something from that.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

Will do!

Will that resolve the issue of the pin?

It's probably the pin No25 that is the problem. It has a shoulder and the end is bigger. If this is inserted the wrong way round the plate can't push on it. The thin end has to go through a hole. Don't ask me how I know. Had me puzzled for a while. This has nothing to do with your tension issues though. Looks like you need to tighten up the top tension but I could be wrong. It has been known.

The pin No25 lives inside the center split of the top tension unit.

Your threading looks ok to me. After going through all the holes I like to make sure there's enough tension to keep the thread between the plates. More holes/less holes.

Edited by toxo

Here are some more shots. Not sure where #25 is exactly. 

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

It lives in the center split and the thin end goes through a hole to the plate that you were moving in the first vid. It's job is to push out the black spring plate to release the thread.

This pin?

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 4.50.52 PM.jpg

Pin 25 is in the center of screw 24. take off the tension nut, and the tension sprinrg.remove the black tension disk. next look down the center of the screw that has a slot in it AKA #24. the #25 pin is that hole.

corection not #24 it is #22

No. It's inside the split shaft  that the plates/spring slide on. If you take off the whole tension unit you'll find a small hole. Where No 25 comes through. Looking at that last vid it might well be that your tension is just way too loose. Tighten the knurled bit right up and see if there's a difference. That at least will take up the slack stitches on the back side.

Yes, the pin is inside there and it moves. 

Here's another video. I am manually applying pressure to part #13. When it moves, the plates move out like they should. Second part of the video, when the foot lift is up, the pin moves about 3mm, but clearly that is not far enough to engage the plate. 

No 25 is obviously there. I notice you still haven't tightened up the knurled tension knob. I'm betting all will be well after you've done that. The spring only has to move slightly to release the thread.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I tightened it to the max, and it did not even come close to touching it. 

It looks like the tension release is working ok in that video. As Toxo said the loops on the bottom appear to be not enough upper thread tension.

Teslabolt you may want to check out this post Ahhhh - Another Consew 206Rb - A Couple Rather Technical Questions

When you tightened to the max could you pull the thread through the plates. If yes then maybe  there's a problem with the way  the top tension unit is assembled.

9 minutes ago, toxo said:

When you tightened to the max could you pull the thread through the plates. If yes then maybe  there's a problem with the way  the top tension unit is assembled.

I will check...

Great article, RussellJohn. I have checked everything in that article and I have the pin (not sure if the length is correct -- can some cross-check pretty please??)

My tension release slide is not broken or bent. 

seems like either the pin is not long enough or there is some issue with the thread controller disc. part #26

IMG_2313 (1).jpeg

IMG_2314 (1).jpeg

IMG_2318 (1).jpeg

I don't remember how but I remember the height of the presser foot made the problem go away for me.

I feel like I'm the blind leading the blind.:lol:

Is this routing correct? (Xray version)

IMG_2319.jpg

No. Why have you done it differently to the way you did it in the earlier video? It doesn't go over the pin.

2 minutes ago, toxo said:

No. Why have you done it differently to the way you did it in the earlier video? It doesn't go over the pin.

Sorry - like this?

IMG_2320.jpeg

Is this deflection normal? It seems hard to pull the thread through even without the tension discs on. Pulling through the needle eye, it deflects the needle as well. Ugh. 

IMG_2321.jpeg

Yes. The way you had it in the video was correct.

Looks like the plate is the wrong way round. The two plates should touch in the center not the outside. Put everything back the way it was when you did the sewing. Tighten up the tension and you'll be good to go. When you've finished sewing  use the knee lift. If it doesn't release the thread then jiggle the hand wheel until it does. If this works it's probably the height of the presser foot that's the problem. Goodnight.

I just got this machine and have not been able to stitch it correctly. I am completely at a loss and am in panic mode. I have spent a lot of money getting this to my shop and now I have a large paperweight.  Please, help me. I am willing to pay money at this point. Does anyone know of any shops in the Kansas City area?

Something is very wrong with this machine and I just need help telling me what looks off and what doesn't.