I will be doing a couple of belts, one for me and one for my brother. i was curious if you could do lacing on a belt such as a Mexican weave, or would the sliding of the belt through the loops when changing the pants wear the lacing and ruin it? i plan on lining the belts, and didn't know if that would change anything such as trying to lace through both layers, or lace the top layer and then place the back layer on and sandwich the back of the lacing between the layers which would effectively stop the belt from being replaced in the future. Or should i just forget the idea and just tool it like most belts are done?

I made a single layer 8 oz belt from scraps about 50 years ago.  Cut the scrap into 1.25" x 3.25" pieces and laced them together, then laced the perimeter of the whole belt.  Wore it for many years, until it got too short.  I used a bag of scrap lace, most of it not beveled, and inconsistent width.  Did double loop lacing style.  Looks kind of ratty now after sitting in a drawer for so long plus the original wear and tear.  I've been thinking about resurrecting it, adding a couple more pieces for length, and re-lacing the whole thing with better quality lace.

Tom

20200118_162421a.jpg

20200118_162431a.jpg

20200118_162445a.jpg

Edited by Northmount
replace tifs with jpegs

2 minutes ago, Northmount said:

until it got too short

:o darn things do shrink, eh?  still no reason to throw a .tif  :rofl:

2 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

no reason to throw a .tif

LOL.  I saw that tifs won't display automatically so was in the process of replacing with jpegs, but you beat me to it!

I had about a 29' waist when I made this, then settled at about 31 for many years, then suddenly up to 36.  Now back to 32".  Eat less, exercise more, and now no BP meds required! 

Tom

On one of the FB pages that I am on, they recommended to use kangaroo lace, which is supposed to be so much stronger and wear resistant. Thank you for the picture and ideas.

15 hours ago, Northmount said:

settled at about 31 for many years, then suddenly up to 36.  Now back to 32".  Eat less, exercise more, and now no BP meds required! 

That 31 is tough, aint it!  '30' jeans too snug and '32' jeans baggy... and hardly find somebody selling 31's.

But.. that was then ;) I make a point to get up out the chair and exercise a bit, but I don't see me ever eating LESS :o

Back to the question asked..

• the only belts I ever laced were those done in snakeskin... and that was largely to protect the scales from getting "rubbed the wrong way".  Worked well. and,
  • I recently remade a buckstitched belt for a gal's husband.. original belt was over 40 years old.  The lace was in rough shape, but still holding, and the lace is easily replaced if that's your issue.