Bgravitt

Lace width to thickness

I am just learning to cut lace and braid. Something I have run into is lace width to thickness. Obviously there is a correlation other wise the fine braiding would look stupid if it were 5-6 oz. It’s difficult for me to figure out the right thickness for what ever project I am braiding. 

Another problem I am having is beveling. I have Bruce Grants book on fine braiding and watched many YouTube videos. I just can not for the life of me get a proper bevel on my lace. I guess that’s where the thickness comes into play. I’ve been using 2-3oz veg tan to make lace. I will keep trying till I get it right or what I think looks good. Hopefully someone can chime in to offer some tips. Is anyone in North Georgia that braids, I’d like to visit and learn if possible. 

If I may, I would suggest that you bevel your lace before you thin it's thickness.

And always put in a new sharp blade for the cutting. Wether it be the bevel cut or he thickness cut.

That is  what I do.

Joel

It depends on the type of material you are working with. Heavy Rawhide and leather most surely needs to be split but kangaroo is pretty thin to start with. I don't even split roo if I am braiding 1/2" or 5/8th's bosal bodies. Nosebutton string will split just to even up. You just need to increase the number of strings. 12 strand for 1/2" and 16 strand for 5/8th's. These are finished at between 5 and 5 1/2/32 wide. And I recently purchased a tool that bevels string from the bottom. So if the string isn't perfectly split it doesn't matter. It took awhile to get used to as you can't see the bevel coming off but does a great job. JMO