RemingtonSteel

Belt Tongue Hole Spacing for CCW Belts

I am going to make a CCW belt.  I want to design it so that it can be worn for either IWB or OWB use. I know that on a standard belt, the holes are usually spaced 1" apart. In my opinion, it is more crucial in a CCW belt that the belt fit snugly, but not overly tight, I am thinking that more holes spaced closer together will give a finer degree of adjustment. I know that if the holes are too close, I run the risk of the leather between the holes tearing out. I also believe that the thickness of the leather plays into this calculation as well. I have a 12 oz (3/16" thick) belt strap that I am going to use. I want adjustability without compromising strength. Any recommendations on hole spacing?

Yes... use 3/4" spacing for finer adjustment.

You may also want to use oblong or oval holes on leather of this thickness. It allows the leather to lay flatter in the buckle.

Here is a 2" wide belt that I made many years ago. Seven oval holes with 3/4" spacing, dyed with vinegaroon.

BTW, this is the first belt that I ever made for another person. It looks short because it is so wide but the belt is 34" IIRC

I learned a great lesson with this one. They told me to make a 34" belt. I said that I wanted to measure them but they refused and said, "Just make me a 34" belt and it will fit". Well -- it didn't.

Never take someone's word for it. Belt size, pants size and actual body measurements are not the same. Then you have tucked in shirts or whatever. Also, the thickness of the leather, combined with belt width is a huge factor.

So, if someone wears a 1" wide, 34" belt that is made from 1/8" this leather, you cannot get an accurate measurement from it, if you are making a 1.5" wide 3/16" belt. They will likely need another inch or two on the length.

nick

image.png

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

5 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Never take someone's word for it. Belt size, pants size and actual body measurements are not the same.

I agree. I have also learnt from experience never take a measurement from an old belt.  Using a tape measure around waist is best and most accurate . If  trophy buckles are to be used, that alters the measurement too. Theres 2 - 3" between the bar & the pin, depending on the size of the buckle. 

HS

Sorry all, I meant to post this under Holsters, not Sewing Machines. Maybe a moderator will see this and move it accordingly.

Agree with the above on belt sizing. This is not my first belt by any means, but I have always spaced holes 1”,  for regular belts and western gun belts. I was wondering how close I could make them before making the belt weak. Spacing on center is one thing, but the spacing between the holes is another depending on the size of the hole as well as round vs oval. At some point if the amount of leather between the holes is too small, I would imagine that it become susceptible to tearing out over time. 

10 hours ago, RemingtonSteel said:

Sorry all, I meant to post this under Holsters, not Sewing Machines. Maybe a moderator will see this and move it accordingly.

Agree with the above on belt sizing. This is not my first belt by any means, but I have always spaced holes 1”,  for regular belts and western gun belts. I was wondering how close I could make them before making the belt weak. Spacing on center is one thing, but the spacing between the holes is another depending on the size of the hole as well as round vs oval. At some point if the amount of leather between the holes is too small, I would imagine that it become susceptible to tearing out over time. 

I you are using 12oz. leather you needn't worry about the holes.  Follow the wizard's good advice and you'll be fine.  When in doubt, go bigger on the belt.  At least you can do something with it, but if too short, it is scrap.

The two-layer horsehide belt I am wearing right now is 11 years old and has seen nearly daily use for all of those years. I made this belt to fit a 37.5" waist at the center tongue hole, with 5 tongue holes on 1" spacing. The holes were cut round using a 5/32" punch. After reading this post I pulled the belt off for measuring and found the fit at the center hole is now 37.75" (0.25" stretch over 11 years of use) and the tongue hole in use is now oblong and measures 3/16"W X 5/16"L (so there has been measurable stretching in use). This belt was constructed of two layers of 5/6 horsehide, so the finished weight/thickness is about 11 oz.

In my experience, two-layer belts tend to stretch far less than any single-layer belt. Cementing and stitching the two layers together provides an effect similar to plywood (far greater strength than the combined strength of the material of the plies). I would expect that a single-layer belt of 12-oz. leather will show some stretching, and the tongue holes will expand under pressure, within the first year or two of use. Whether or not that will have much effect on the spacing of the tongue holes will only become apparent after actual use (and will probably be affected by the buckle in use and the user's habits in use).

I usually recommend trouser waist size and belt size for IWB carry to be about 2" greater than for OWB use to allow for the bulk of the holstered handgun. This will vary, of course, depending on the user, the handgun chosen, and the holster design and construction. It will almost certainly vary when the user chooses to enjoy a large meal!

I was always happy to make belts as the customer wished (1" tongue hole spacing, 3/4" spacing, number of tongue holes, etc) within reason. I cannot recall any complaints arising from such choices

I told many customers that my two-layer belts were adequate for supporting just about any holstered handgun and accessories required, and that they were adequate for beating children and women, but far too heavy for use on dogs. I tried to make it clear that this advice was given with my tongue firmly in my cheek!