KristineS

Book Cover Design - Help!

I have a very special client who is looking for a book cover to encase 2 books. He's celebrating 90 days of sobriety with AA and has 2 books that he'd like me to make a cover for.  

Here's the issue. 1 book, his go to, is hard cover and measures 6" x 8" x 1 1/2". The 2nd book is soft cover and is same length and height but only 1/2" deep. He's also asking for a strap to close it and keep them secure. but he'd like both books in one cover instead of 2 separate cases. I do not have possession of these books as he needs them daily, all i have are measurements.  

Does my description make sense? I am welcoming all suggestions on this. I plan on using tooling leather so I can tool in some scrollwork and the motto "One More Day" on the cover.  

Thanks so much! 

Edited by Northmount
changed *' to 8"

I would make it a double fronted book cover.

This a cheap version of a book cover I do. The book covers slip into pockets front and back

1974617704_Bookcover01s.jpg.3fa76eb261e1be08c73843587b0ac8cc.jpg

584089002_Bookcover02s.jpg.ad696c877a7ac37359add9d23e16617c.jpg

I would have the back cover of one book slip into the right side pocket and the back cover of the other book into the left pocket; the whole thing has to be turned upside down  so that the second book can be used

1690633790_Bookcover03s.jpg.3bb24cb60048dafc6f33b3ae646efe2d.jpg

398959295_Bookcover04s.jpg.3e304bd7ac3f38ce3212791bf9900671.jpg

This folds closed ok and that strap pops closed ok too

Be careful building from measurements only.  You may find you didn't leave enough allowance for the folds in the spine of the cover.  Cut oversize, lay everything out the way it will be assembled, with the books in place.  Adjust to fit the way you want it to fit.  You can staple the pieces together if you leave a little allowance so you can cut the staple holes off after glued and stitched together.  Staples make a nice temporary join.

Tom

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I would make it a double fronted book cover.

This a cheap version of a book cover I do. The book covers slip into pockets front and back

1974617704_Bookcover01s.jpg.3fa76eb261e1be08c73843587b0ac8cc.jpg

584089002_Bookcover02s.jpg.ad696c877a7ac37359add9d23e16617c.jpg

I would have the back cover of one book slip into the right side pocket and the back cover of the other book into the left pocket; the whole thing has to be turned upside down  so that the second book can be used

1690633790_Bookcover03s.jpg.3bb24cb60048dafc6f33b3ae646efe2d.jpg

398959295_Bookcover04s.jpg.3e304bd7ac3f38ce3212791bf9900671.jpg

This folds closed ok and that strap pops closed ok too

Thats a very interesting idea. I will work with that with some modifications. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Be careful building from measurements only.  You may find you didn't leave enough allowance for the folds in the spine of the cover.  Cut oversize, lay everything out the way it will be assembled, with the books in place.  Adjust to fit the way you want it to fit.  You can staple the pieces together if you leave a little allowance so you can cut the staple holes off after glued and stitched together.  Staples make a nice temporary join.

Tom

That is something i did not take into consideration.  Hopefully i can find books relatively similar in size in order to get this right. I dont have acces to the books all the time so I have to wing it a bit. Thank you 

19 hours ago, johnv474 said:

An old yellow pages can be turned into any size book, for a model.  Or layers of corrugated cardboard.

I am going to look through my collection of books and see if I have anything of similar size, but the cardboard is also a very good idea. Thank you