HaloJones

Juki or Janome?

So looking at getting a sewing machine, I don’t have space for one of the types built into a table.

I will only be sewing leather up to 2mm thick, 

so the Two machines in consideration are the Janome HD9 and the Juki TL 2200 QVP  mini.

any comments / advice / experience on either machine is welcome

TIA

In my opinion, neither. Both are domestic top feed garment machines which can maybe do V69 thread. If you want something to last, with a wider range of thread, larger foot lift and don't have the space maybe a portable walking foot machine would be a better choice. Think of machines like Reliable Barracuda as I am sure there must be similar machines on the other side of the pond.

kgg

I think Juki is way better than Janome in terms of quality and pricing. Juki Tl-2000qi is the best sewing machine as I am using it from last 2 years. There are some of the best Janome models also like Janome HD3000 but still I like Juki more.

3 hours ago, sarahwoodward said:

I think Juki is way better than Janome in terms of quality and pricing. Juki Tl-2000qi is the best sewing machine as I am using it from last 2 years. There are some of the best Janome models also like Janome HD3000 but still I like Juki more.

First, welcome to the forum!  I see that was your first post here.

Those machines are really (quite good) home/domestic machines.  But you cannot compare them with the kinds of machines that are most common and popular here, for folks who are sewing leather, webbing, complicated and thick assemblies, etc.  I wouldn't want to use my Janome HD3000 (as great a machine as it is) to sew 3 or more layers of webbing for pet collars, or even for 2-3 (or more) layers of 3oz leather.  For such applications a walking foot (as a minimum) really is needed, and having a compound/triple feed machine is even better.  What's that expression?  Something about horses for courses?  You need the right machine for what you are sewing and it's impossible to get one machine that will do everything from thin cotton shirts to heavy leather belts and pouches.

I'm just starting a new project... men's dress shirts.  And I wouldn't dream of using any of my industrial machines for that.  I need a fine thread and small needle and for that I'm reaching for my Janome HD3000.  You need the right machine for any job.

Having a Janome HD3000 and a Juki clone and for leather work I’d take a walking foot machine with a servo motor everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  When you run the Janome slow it struggles to get through leather, while the Juki clone can go 1 stitch at a time and give me much more control.   You can get a light duty walking foot machine, but I don’t have any experience with them, this is one example of a portable walking foot machine. Sailrite

16 minutes ago, Tequila said:

Having a Janome HD3000 and a Juki clone and for leather work I’d take a walking foot machine with a servo motor everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  When you run the Janome slow it struggles to get through leather, while the Juki clone can go 1 stitch at a time and give me much more control.   You can get a light duty walking foot machine, but I don’t have any experience with them, this is one example of a portable walking foot machine. Sailrite

I also have the Sailrite LSZ-1 portable walking foot, and I use pretty much exclusively v92 thread with it.  The smallest thread I'd even consider using is v69 and certainly not the kind of thin thread that clothing needs.  Yes, it *could* be done, but it's a real PITA to dumb the machine down so that it'll work with domestic threads.  Why bother?  Home machines are a couple of hundred bucks and up, so there's no reason to try making a heavyweight do the ballet.  And vice-versa.  If a domestic machine like the above mentioned Janome or Juki does what someone needs to sew, great.

I guess what I take exception to is the above comment that the "Juki TI-2000qi is the best sewing machine".  For what, is what I'd ask.

6 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I also have the Sailrite LSZ-1 portable walking foot, and I use pretty much exclusively v92 thread with it.  The smallest thread I'd even consider using is v69 and certainly not the kind of thin thread that clothing needs.  Yes, it *could* be done, but it's a real PITA to dumb the machine down so that it'll work with domestic threads.  Why bother?  Home machines are a couple of hundred bucks and up, so there's no reason to try making a heavyweight do the ballet.  And vice-versa.  If a domestic machine like the above mentioned Janome or Juki does what someone needs to sew, great.

I guess what I take exception to is the above comment that the "Juki TI-2000qi is the best sewing machine".  For what, is what I'd ask.

Uh, I didn’t make the comment on the Juki TI-2000qi.  

5 hours ago, Tequila said:

Uh, I didn’t make the comment on the Juki TI-2000qi.  

I know you didn't!  :)  I was referring to the post above that.  And pretty much agreeing with you.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:13 AM, MtlBiker said:

I know you didn't!  :)  I was referring to the post above that.  And pretty much agreeing with you.

Show’s you how dumb I can be :oops:

1 hour ago, Tequila said:

Show’s you how dumb I can be :oops:

NO!  Not you!  I didn't make it clear in my post that I was referring to the other person's post.

Both janome and Juki are good for sewing leather. Personally I like Janome HD3000 in janome brand but it can't sew more then 3 layers of leather. So for sewing more layers of leather you can go with Juki machines

Edited by Wizcrafts
Removed link to an affiliate review website.

11 hours ago, SewingFeatures said:

Both janome and Juki are good for sewing leather (link removed). Personally I like Janome HD3000 in janome brand but it can't sew more then 3 layers of leather. So for sewing more layers of leather you can go with Juki machines

@SewingFeatures are you an Amazon affiliate link spamer?

"Brain MIller" sometime is Leon V.  or Victor Fiori on linkedin or Eli Bawer on twitter or Victor Mosheyev on soundcloud - at least they share the same avatar picture ;) Sometimes you find testimonials (f.i. Peter Kartscher) with this avatar picture too.

Mods - please scroll down to the end of the linked site and check the disclaimer.

We had similar link spamers in a German Forum a while ago.

On 6/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, MtlBiker said:

I'd take it as just there option. Every one has one.