rvc

Turned bag with stiffener

I'm planning on making a bag similar to this. I will make it from Tempesti Maine Liscio 1.8/2.0mm but since the bag is quite big I think I will need to use stiffener (Bontex, Texon) to keep it in the desired form. I find the project otherwise quite straightforward but because the bag will be turned after stitching, applying the stiffener will be quite difficult. What would be the easiest way to do this?

7c01795c544c162d3b46eb1714ac9454101ff67e.jpg

It would require hand stitching, . . . or at least some hand stitching, . . . 

But I would make the top zipper the very last sewing job on it.  Allows you to add the stiffener, . . . sew the zipper, . . . DONE !!

That's how "I" would do it anyway.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well actually I do all my stitching by hand :) That's sounds like the order I was about to use but the thing that is really puzzling me is how to add the stiffener. Gluing it after dropping it inside seems a bit complicated and prone to errors. How do I do that easily and accurately?

The Texon or Bondtex  can be good on some bags but for one along this line you need to play with some foam on the sides for a flexible stiffening. A stiffener at the bottom and possibly some at the ends if needed but for the most part just spray glue and attach foam before stitching up and folding. The board stiffeners go in after folding outside in. This bag below is done as described as an example.

DSC09433.JPG

7 hours ago, rvc said:

Well actually I do all my stitching by hand :) That's sounds like the order I was about to use but the thing that is really puzzling me is how to add the stiffener. Gluing it after dropping it inside seems a bit complicated and prone to errors. How do I do that easily and accurately?

OK, . . . lemme ask a question, . . . why glue it???

I don't normally make bags, . . . more of a belt and holster guy, . . . but the ones I have done, . . . I just put the stiffener in there, . . . sewed the old girl shut, . . . and sent her on her way.

Haven't had a complaint yet.  Matter of fact, . . . one was a very special bridal gift that got dumped a couple years later, . . . lady got it at a flea market, . . . traced me down by my maker's mark, . . . wanted to know the history of the bag, . . . she was just thrilled with it, . . . 

I wouldn't worry one iota about it moving if you cut it the right size.

May God bless,

Dwight