chrisash

Pricking Irons for those who like bling

Huh! And I thought I was being extravagant, thinking of getting some Crimson Hide pricking irons.

Have a look at this site, there is a video I found but forget where showing they come with spare blades for doing repairs in a minute and on the 10 blade it took 1min 20 sec for him to change all the blades from forward to reverse angle, just hald a screw to remove and sme to refit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Pricking-Iron-Leathercraft-Olive-Franch-Shap-Stitching-Chisel-pricking/173853512035?hash=item287a7a1163:m:mIy2tkhujc3gVInBs0wOAFg&var=472634986980

Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5T1h7clUE

Edited by chrisash

Thanks for the link

There are now a few of these up - market pricking irons/stitching chisels available - Crimson Hide; Amy Roke; Sinabroks; KS Blades, and now the one you have indicated. I'm looking for a 2-prong and a 5 or 6-prong, and I expect that I will have to pay over £100, by the time import duty & shipping is included

I think that, as for any item, besides the objective factors, a large part of your decision is based on what you fancy. They are all very good, but I fancy the Crimson Hides. My choice now is whether to go for the European or Japanese style.

23 hours ago, chrisash said:

Have a look at this site, there is a video I found but forget where showing they come with spare blades for doing repairs in a minute and on the 10 blade it took 1min 20 sec for him to change all the blades from forward to reverse angle, just hald a screw to remove and sme to refit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Pricking-Iron-Leathercraft-Olive-Franch-Shap-Stitching-Chisel-pricking/173853512035?hash=item287a7a1163:m:mIy2tkhujc3gVInBs0wOAFg&var=472634986980

Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5T1h7clUE

Interesting that the video shows Allen screws, while the advertisement shows slotted screws.  

I appreciate you sharing both the ad and the review.  Of all the irons I've seen, these appear to have a lot going for them.

Ohhh shiny

On 1/23/2020 at 9:25 PM, zuludog said:

Thanks for the link

There are now a few of these up - market pricking irons/stitching chisels available - Crimson Hide; Amy Roke; Sinabroks; KS Blades, and now the one you have indicated. I'm looking for a 2-prong and a 5 or 6-prong, and I expect that I will have to pay over £100, by the time import duty & shipping is included

I think that, as for any item, besides the objective factors, a large part of your decision is based on what you fancy. They are all very good, but I fancy the Crimson Hides. My choice now is whether to go for the European or Japanese style.

Hi, I have 4 sets of the Crimson Hides irons, in both Japanese and European style and I love them both. I started with the Japanese style and from the way I stitch, I find them easier to get the stitching looking good on back and front. I'm practicing with the Euro ones now and I have had to vary the way I stitch a little to get a result I am happy with, although I'm not there yet.. Cheers.

Doug

Well, I've had second thoughts. I was tempted by the Crimson Hides irons, but by the time you've added up the price, shipping cost, import duty, and Royal Mail handling charge the total cost would be very nearly £150 for a 2 & 9 prong set, and that's simply more than I'm willing to pay

But I've found something else. Abbey England sell their own brand pricking irons; a basic set of 2, 5, & 9 prongs for about £30, and a premium set of 2 & 9 prongs for about £96. The teeth look very similar to Crimson Hides - longer than the traditional stubby ones, but not as long as for a stitching chisel; and they are tapered, not parallel sided

I had a reasonable conversation with Abbey, and they said that the teeth are more or less the same for both types, but the premium irons have bigger handles and are intended for prolonged or professional use. They said that as the basic ones are cheap enough many customers start with those and only move on if they need to. He said the prongs will penetrate thinner leather, as for wallets, but not thick leather, where you must also use an awl

There is a review on YouTube by JH Leather, and look at https://www.abbeyengland.com

So a few days ago I bought a basic set; they are better finished than Craftool and Craftool Pro, with no obvious grinding marks on the teeth. So far I've only used them on scrap, but they work well enough. However, they are a bit on the small side, about 9,5cm long, but I'm sure I'll get used to them

There is a new section for Irons & chisels in Sewing Leather, I'll post a longer report in the near future

Edited by zuludog