LeatherNoot

I've been bitten by the leather bug!

Hey guys! I want to formally introduce myself here and give a brief summary on what I have done and how I've learned so far!

It all started a month ago when my buddy at work started showing off his projects and told me a little about the craft. I ended up getting a cheap starter kit off amazon, the billfold template from Makers Leather Supply, and few square feet of 4-5oz leather. Immediately I was hooked and now my collection of stamps and tools is growing as I buy something new every week. I've been watching countless videos on youtube and lurking these forums ever since trying to pick up on new techniques and tricks of the trade before I go asking basic questions that have been answered countless times. So far, I have made two wallets, a bracelet, a belt, and knife sheath, and practiced tooling with scrap my buddy from work gave me.

I will post some pictures of my projects here in the next couple of days and would be happy to hear any criticism from the masters!

Welcome to the forum.  I sympathize with your affliction!  Actually, my bug has worn off a bit, but I'm just a hobbyist and it isn't my only hobby.

You will find lots of helpful folks here and I recommend you go to the beginners section of the forum.  There you will find some "sticky" threads that pertain to things such as burnishing edges, etc. which are very helpful.  There are also lots of threads that discuss where to buy tools, what to buy, etc.

When in doubt, ask.  That's what a forum is for.  

As far as skills, one of the biggest things you can do in my opinion is to learn a proper saddle stitch.  For that, there are lots of threads you can read.  There are also some great videos by people such as Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson on youtube.  They are great teachers.

Learn to do it right before you pick up bad habits.  The proper thread and needles helps as well.  Both Nigel and Ian discuss that.  Nigel also reviews both pricking irons and stitching chisels.  I recommend learning how to use both, but especially as a beginner, the stitching chisels will be your friend.  You can attain a very good looking stitch rather quickly by investing in a decent chisel.  Nigel reviews cheap ones and high-end ones.  I'd go with the Seiwa or similar to begin with.  After you know what you want, you can then invest in a set or sets that suit your needs.  Some of it will depend upon what types of projects you do.  

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Ian & Nigel are frequently recommended for instruction and advice, for both techniques and finished items. But there is a new kid on the YouTube  block - J H Leather. Her video on the saddle stitch, which she sometimes calla the double hand stitch, is very good

When buying hand tools..........Buy once, cry once.

1 hour ago, sinpac said:

When buying hand tools..........Buy once, cry once.

Because when it comes to tools you will be buying alot!

18 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Because when it comes to tools you will be buying alot!

You got that right. LOL

Edited by sinpac

Welcome to leather craft. And,  btw, there are no remedies or ointments for ' leather bug bites ' . 

And theres no such thing as a ' stupid question' , we've all made a bit of a boo boo  or a major stuff up at one point or another. :)   But thats how we learn . 

HS