Albob

PFAFF 145 followed me home

Hi all y'all. It been a long time since I've posed, mostly because I don't have much to say that hasn't been asked and or answered by the gurus here.

Anyway I have tried a few times to sew lighter leathers for wallets and such on my Cowboy 3200,  which I love but we all know it was not made for that kind of work.

I started to hunt for a light to mid weight table top machine to fill the void between the 3200 and a PFAFF 130 I have for sewing fabric interiors on wallets, bags and purses.

I found this 145 about 30 miles from me on Craigslist so I drove out to take a look.

Unfortunately The clutch for the motor drive had been taken off so I was not able to test it on site, however with a little spray gun lube (it was put away dirty several years ago) I was able to spin it by hand and look at all the moving parts. Everything looked pretty good to my untrained eye so I made an offer, he counter offered and met in the middle and it was mine.

As I go through it and clean\lube it up well and mount the servo I got from Mr. Kovar at Toledo Sewing (Same place I ordered my 3200 from) I'll post an update.

I have specific question. What is the range of thread I can expect good results with Min size to Max for this machine?

Thanks in Advance for your input, and thanks for all you've already taught me.

Fredo

San Diego CA. 

PFAFF 1.jpg

PFAFF 2.jpg

PFAFF 3.jpg

69, 92, 138 weight thread should sew fine.  

26 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

69, 92, 138 weight thread should sew fine.  

Thank you Pinto

Fredo

I recently purchase one very similar to yours 145-P-6/1-216C H4LMN I am very happy with mine. I upgraded mine with a servo motor and speed reducer removed the knee lift and installed a peddle, I just could never get used to the knee lift.

I use mostly 92 and 138 thread in leather goods and it sews great never misses a stitch and sews in reverse just as well, my only complaint is the bobbin is small.

John

Well I got up early this morning had coffee and went out to the shop and installed the servo motor I had bought from Bob at Toledo Sewing. Once I finished that I put a little 138 top and 92 bottom thread in it and gave it it's first test run. The results were better than I could hope for from a machine that has been sitting dirty and unused for so long. I can't wait for my order to get here so I can try different needles and thread sizes. I'm holding off on two wallet orders I have so I can use this machine to sew them up vs, sewing by hand.

I'm happy I bought this machine yesterday I think it's going to fit my needs quiet well. I will need to set up the foot pedal as the geometry isn't very comfortable for me. I have an idea to use a gas pedal out of an older hot rod that has been hanging in my garage for a long time. I think that will get it where I like it and looks mighty fancy to boot.

Once I finished with the test run, I gave Bob a call at Toldeo Sewing and ordered up an assortment of needles and threads in various color and a handful of bobbins. If you looking for customer service to go along with knowledge Bob Stands out in my book. Give him a call, you won't be sorry.

Gere's a couple of pictures. I used the needle that came on the machine. Its fairly large however the markings on the needle are scratched up pretty good so I couldn't make out the size. 138 top and 92 in the bobbin. One pic is two layers of 3-4 vegtan with a fold over to make it 3 layers. The other pic is 3 layers of old dry hard 5-6 scrap I had laying around. The walking foot "walked" right over those transitions :)

PFAFF 5.jpg

PFAFF 4.jpg

Edited by Albob
I type poorly