Bransen111

Tools needed to carve this image in leather?

Hey everyone, so I recently posted about not having a swivel blade or any stamping/camouflage tools and I’m hoping to change that. The responses I got were primarily to buy tools for each project and build up the tools as I go. I figured out a project that I want to carve into leather for some guys I work with. It will be a challenge coin logo on a field notes notebook cover and I will possibly add an eagle or something American to the background. So if anyone can point me towards the tools needed for this project I would greatly appreciate the advice, I will post a picture of the challenge coin I am planning on carving. Also I will likely use the Barry King Tools unless I get other suggestions.

F2806EB2-D85C-4C34-8155-E4AD3B8BE6E1.jpeg

Question about those letters in the outside ring-- are you going to attempt to carve them (i.e. so they stand up from the black background), or stamp them, or emboss them with a stylus? (Carving them is going to take a LONG, FRUSTRATING time to do; I wouldn't recommend you do this until you some tooling experience under your belt and realize that even though you know what you're getting in to, you really WANT to spend the hours it will take to carve those lines VERY carefully.)

For the tool suggestions below,  I am including the Tandy catalog links for visual reference, so you know what to look for from other toolmakers. 

1) sharpened and stropped swivel knife (of course!) :)

2) backgrounder tool(s) -- wide and narrow teardrop shaped (Like these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=backgrounder

3) Beveller-- your choice of textured or smooth. Probably two -- a small and a medium one. You have some tight spaces in that design that only a small beveller will fit into. 

4) pear shader, possibly (for those wing feathers) -- that'll be a small one, depending on actual size (https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=pear shader). You could also use a modeling tool with a spoon end and a stylus end to do those. 

5) You could freehand the stars in the outer ring, or select one that fits the size (examples: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=star stamp)

6) Those branches on the sides of the inner shield... I'm not sure what's going to work there. Maybe other folks have a tool recommendation for that, rather than just freehand swivel knife work. 

7) That tiny inner circle logo is going to be a real pain! That's some teeny time swivel knife/stylus work in there, not much room for any tools! It may be possible to have a custom made stamp for this, but that's not cost effective if you are only doing a few of these. The inscription around the inner circle is going to be a bear, too... At the size of this graphic, which I guess is larger than the leather piece will be, I can think of no way to write "city of Rexburg etc.) and make it look good. That's REALLY small. 

8) If I were going to do this, I'd look into getting parts of this design done by a laser engraver --- some elements are too small for tooling or knife blade work. They'd end up a lot sharper and legible if laser engraved. 

That design should also be reworked into a much simpler outline graphic, getting rid of the metallic "shiny" fill effects. You need to see just the lines. 

I've got good friends living up in Rexburg. Mighty cold up there this time of year!

Edited by DJole

I would certainly suggest you start your carving and stamping endeavor on something a little more basic,  if the first project you try to do is what you are showing and have no experience at carving or stamping you will most likely never get it finished or will be so disappointed in the results you will not give it to anyone.  You can’t expect to paint a Mona Lisa for your fist painting!  I always tell people to practice, practice, practice and when you get tired of that then practice some more.  I realize you want to make something beautiful and complex but for you 1st item I don’t believe that to be realistic! Sorry to have to tell you that but that’s just the facts.   Sincerely Rodney 

tbh, for this I would get a brass stamp made. I can get a  8 x 8 cm brass stamp cut for under £30, smaller sizes pro rata. At £10 per hour labour thats 3 hours work - it'll take far more than that to tool this design, once. If you intend repeating the design then a stamp will give consistent results quicker.

Brandsen, I replied to your pm about what tools I’m using and forgot to mention a swivel knife with hollow ground blade and hair blade.  Your choice of going with Barry  King for stamps and tools is good and even better once you figure out how to use them.

I am making police and firefighter field note covers. I’m using about 12 stamps for most of my tooling along with modeling spoons. I use a 1/4” alphabet stamp set for most lettering and also hand stamp smaller lettering using a home made pointed SS rod with a 1mm flat point. 

This image you’ve provided will be challenging to hand tool it on a 4” wide cover. Will be even difficult for a beginner but not impossible. At this size, things are going to get pretty small so do it in steps to not get frustrated.

my leather covers are 7.5” tall and fit a 4”x6 3/4” memo book/field note book. The standard thickness for leather covers is 4-5oz. I’ve used heavier 8oz. but makes for a thicker bulkier cover. Now I only use 5oz. for my covers and this includes the inside pockets too. It’s a preference on the officer as some want it built thinner. 

Have a paper copy printed with an actual size of your  image on it. Study this and you’ll get an idea as to just how small of an area you have to work with. I’m assuming most or all of the lettering will need to be hand stamped using some small tool. Like I mentioned, I had to make a small 1mm tool and used it on this Fire badge lettering. Not impossible, just took a little figuring out. 

Chris 

D48D5521-B828-480C-B6C6-FAD6FC6E1C52.jpeg

Forgot to mention...... if I was giving this image to recreate on a field notes cover. I’d make work easier for myself by redesigning it so that it works with the few tools I have. I’d enlarge the badge so I can add a lot of detail since it’s the main focus. Somehow rearranging all the lettering so it fits inside the small space using 1/4” lettering.  I understand no one wants their logo to be changed or messed with but you are only building a few small custom leather covers. You mentioned adding an eagle in there too. If redrawn and layed out correctly, it will look better than the original image. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:55 AM, DJole said:

Question about those letters in the outside ring-- are you going to attempt to carve them (i.e. so they stand up from the black background), or stamp them, or emboss them with a stylus? (Carving them is going to take a LONG, FRUSTRATING time to do; I wouldn't recommend you do this until you some tooling experience under your belt and realize that even though you know what you're getting in to, you really WANT to spend the hours it will take to carve those lines VERY carefully.)

For the tool suggestions below,  I am including the Tandy catalog links for visual reference, so you know what to look for from other toolmakers. 

1) sharpened and stropped swivel knife (of course!) :)

2) backgrounder tool(s) -- wide and narrow teardrop shaped (Like these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=backgrounder

3) Beveller-- your choice of textured or smooth. Probably two -- a small and a medium one. You have some tight spaces in that design that only a small beveller will fit into. 

4) pear shader, possibly (for those wing feathers) -- that'll be a small one, depending on actual size (https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=pear shader). You could also use a modeling tool with a spoon end and a stylus end to do those. 

5) You could freehand the stars in the outer ring, or select one that fits the size (examples: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/?sSearch=star stamp)

6) Those branches on the sides of the inner shield... I'm not sure what's going to work there. Maybe other folks have a tool recommendation for that, rather than just freehand swivel knife work. 

7) That tiny inner circle logo is going to be a real pain! That's some teeny time swivel knife/stylus work in there, not much room for any tools! It may be possible to have a custom made stamp for this, but that's not cost effective if you are only doing a few of these. The inscription around the inner circle is going to be a bear, too... At the size of this graphic, which I guess is larger than the leather piece will be, I can think of no way to write "city of Rexburg etc.) and make it look good. That's REALLY small. 

8) If I were going to do this, I'd look into getting parts of this design done by a laser engraver --- some elements are too small for tooling or knife blade work. They'd end up a lot sharper and legible if laser engraved. 

That design should also be reworked into a much simpler outline graphic, getting rid of the metallic "shiny" fill effects. You need to see just the lines. 

I've got good friends living up in Rexburg. Mighty cold up there this time of year!

Thankyou very much for pointing out the several things that i definitely didn't take into account and giving me a good idea of tools, also the laser engraving is something i will look into as well i never even thought about doing something like that! Also yes it is way too cold here in Rexburg, especially coming from southern California it's a miracle I've survived my three years here haha but small world for sure!

23 hours ago, Rhale said:

I would certainly suggest you start your carving and stamping endeavor on something a little more basic,  if the first project you try to do is what you are showing and have no experience at carving or stamping you will most likely never get it finished or will be so disappointed in the results you will not give it to anyone.  You can’t expect to paint a Mona Lisa for your fist painting!  I always tell people to practice, practice, practice and when you get tired of that then practice some more.  I realize you want to make something beautiful and complex but for you 1st item I don’t believe that to be realistic! Sorry to have to tell you that but that’s just the facts.   Sincerely Rodney 

No worries at all, I appreciate realistic advice any day. I will start with skulls and some basic techniques. Any ideas on other basic ideas to get the basics down?

17 hours ago, chriscraft said:

Forgot to mention...... if I was giving this image to recreate on a field notes cover. I’d make work easier for myself by redesigning it so that it works with the few tools I have. I’d enlarge the badge so I can add a lot of detail since it’s the main focus. Somehow rearranging all the lettering so it fits inside the small space using 1/4” lettering.  I understand no one wants their logo to be changed or messed with but you are only building a few small custom leather covers. You mentioned adding an eagle in there too. If redrawn and layed out correctly, it will look better than the original image. 

I agree 100% after reading yours and others comments, there will be some definite simplifying done on the badge and it will likely be just the badge instead of the whole challenge coin, Thanks again for all the advice!

If you get the swivel knife and the beveling down good most everything else will pretty much be the easy part!  I suggest to practice a lot on the swivel knife and beveling over and over until the cuts and beveling are both smooth and you are satisfied with the look then start adding in the pear shading, veiner,etc.  It will most likely be pretty frustrating at first but stay with it and you will develop a lifelong hobby.  If there is a Tandy’s near you they usually offer some basic classes for tooling. Enjoy, Rodney