Alexis1234

Box loop Stapler - Need harness maker's help!

I have been in search of a stapler for doing long box loops on driving bridles for several months(posted about this before)..  I have never seen one in person and there is very little information/pics available online. Standard Rivet doesn't have them anymore.  I can buy the anvil for doing them used... can someone that uses them for harness work specifically,( not belt keepers) enlighten me? I already have a hand held stapler for belt type loose keepers, that's not what I'm looking for...  how hard is it to get the head/ foot press if I buy anvil used? Thanks for any input!

I sew all of mine, as it avoids the corrosion problem.  Have you considered that?

42 minutes ago, Alexis1234 said:

I have been in search of a stapler for doing long box loops on driving bridles for several months(posted about this before)..  I have never seen one in person and there is very little information/pics available online. Standard Rivet doesn't have them anymore.  I can buy the anvil for doing them used... can someone that uses them for harness work specifically,( not belt keepers) enlighten me? I already have a hand held stapler for belt type loose keepers, that's not what I'm looking for...  how hard is it to get the head/ foot press if I buy anvil used? Thanks for any input!

Have you talked to Tim at SX?  He worked for standard for years before he started Timco, and is a pretty knowledgeable guy.  The #2 foot presses aren't that hard to find.  The box loop staple part is a little less common.  Fwiw, the #2 setup works only marginally well.  On heavier stuff, you will end up frustrated.  Part of it is the staples were forced to buy.  I have a little better luck with the stapler that Beilers sells.

12 minutes ago, SaddleBags said:

I sew all of mine, as it avoids the corrosion problem.  Have you considered that?

You do know that the OP is referring to harness bridle cheeks that can be.up to 8 inches long? That is a job to hand sew those things in, and there are only a select few people in the country. . .too few. . .willing to pay for the time it takes to hand stitch all the box loops on a harness.  The very top end harnesses have all hand stitched box loops but on even mid level harness, you can't get your time back of the product.

44 minutes ago, SaddleBags said:

Yes, I currently hand sew all keepers. I have several very pretty long  cheek  and tug dies that I would like to use.. I am familiar with how to sew them- going thru the face and using a die to cover up the holes. My problem is- I can't justify fiddling with them that long - very time consuming! I will hand sew them if forced to though.

33 minutes ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

Have you talked to Tim at SX?  He worked for standard for years before he started Timco, and is a pretty knowledgeable guy.  The #2 foot presses aren't that hard to find.  The box loop staple part is a little less common.  Fwiw, the #2 setup works only marginally well.  On heavier stuff, you will end up frustrated.  Part of it is the staples were forced to buy.  I have a little better luck with the stapler that Beilers sells.

You do know that the OP is referring to harness bridle cheeks that can be.up to 8 inches long? That is a job to hand sew those things in, and there are only a select few people in the country. . .too few. . .willing to pay for the time it takes to hand stitch all the box loops on a harness.  The very top end harnesses have all hand stitched box loops but on even mid level harness, you can't get your time back of the product.

I am not familiar with SX.  Do you recommend I contact Beilers? 

3 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

I am not familiar with SX.  Do you recommend I contact Beilers? 

Yes I would.  Their press is better than the newer #2 machines anyway, and several other attachments are available for Beiler's machine.

SX is SX industries.  They carry spots, conchos, and I think they have staples.  They have ventured I to the machine manufacturing a bit, I believe.  Actually, I would give him a call before Beilers and just pick his brain.

The press Tim sells is the same one from Beilers, but he sets it up and makes sure it does what you want it to. The stapler parts I have are made for a standard rivet machine. These are them 

A7202D73-6D29-4DD2-9D87-B0B1A352EC0B.jpeg

I'll give him a call on Monday. Thanks everyone for the info!

Hi have you looked at this site may have what you are looking for if not contact them may know some where that can help.

https://aaronmartin.com/index.html

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

https://aaronmartin.com/product.php?cat_id=1534&submit=View&catview=20&s=Harness Maker Tools&catview2=&catview3=&s2=&s3= 

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

I have a standard rivet #2 one that i would sell that's on a base, but i'm all the way in NH. but id want to sell these "Bowtie" browband chain links, and dies that I have. Bought 1,000 chrome and 1,000 brass. I have the loop iron and driver part as well as a bag of ss powder coated black staples

-Andrew

I actually just bought one from Canada last week- but thank you

On 4/3/2020 at 9:00 AM, Alexis1234 said:

I am familiar with how to sew them- going thru the face and using a die to cover up the holes.

Hi Alexis, do you mind if I ask just how the 2nd side/edge of a long box loop is sewn up by hand ?
Small loops up to 1-1/4" wide,  I've sewn for years, angling the awl more as you near the middle of the inside of the loop, but as you say, 2" to 8" long ones are a different matter. Do you mean that you sew them plain, using the same hole on the top a few times, and only when finished, wet and press the pattern in them?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Edited by Stewey
typo

Do you have access to the "Art of hand stitching " by AL Stolhman? He explains it better than I can. Basically,  sew the one side up as you normally would, the other side, tuck and tack. You make larger stitches than normal, working out of the same holes on the face of the loop( angling the awl).You would than emboss, hiding the holes.