kskinner

Moving country, selling my machines and need a second opinion...

Hi all, first post. Thanks in advance and please let me know if this is the wrong section to post this.

Will be moving from Ireland to Canada in March. Need advice on my options RE machines. The details are as follows:

Currently own two Singer 29Ks, one long arm and one short arm, as well as other smaller machines which are coming with me (overlocker, outseam stitcher, etc, not relevent). The short arm was given to me for free, I cleaned it up and will be selling it. No problems there. The long arm is my pride and joy and is a machine I use all the time. By way of explanation, the type of work I do and the designs I make require a patcher. I am unsure as to whether I keep this one, sell it, bring it to Canada, or what. The third machine that is essential to me, but I do not own, is an Adler 69, which belongs to my current place of work and will be staying there.

My questions: I require two machines in my future workshop once I move. The patcher and the workhorse, which is currently the Adler. My options are to sell all my current machinery, save on the money which I would be spending on shipping them over, and buy modern machines once I touchdown in Canada. Currently I am looking at the Techsew Patcher and maybe their 2600 cylinder machine in lieu of the Adler. Or I just try find someone selling an Adler 69. My requirement is just something that can handle light to medium weight with a foot very close to the edge of the cylinder bed. I mean, as an added bonus, ideally the machine would have the compound feed of the Adler. Their feed is just... lovely.

Finally, to cut to the chase, I just need people's second opinions: Am i being silly selling my Singers or should I ship them over with me? Is it worth the cost? Does anyone know if the Techsew patchers/2600 are any good? Are there other alternatives? 

Thank you all very much in advance. Sorry for the long wall of text.

Have you thought about keeping just the machines head + accessories and buy new stands and motors in Canada? That would save weight and space and you still have the machines you are used to.

If the 29K´s are old clunkers like 29K4 I would leave then in the UK if they are 29K60 - 29K72 (or something in between) I would keep them I guess.

Techsew patchers are 29K7x clones like most of the Chinese patchers - I think they are as good / bad as any other Chinese 29K clone.

Edited by Constabulary

are they motorized? if so is the voltage the same?

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Have you thought about keeping just the machines head + accessories and buy new stand and motor and in Canada?

If the 29K´s are old clunkers like 29K4 I would leve then in the UK if they are 29K60 - 29K72 (or something in between) I would keep them I guess.

Hey Constabulary, thanks for the reply. Have thought about selling treadle base for the bigger machine, yeah. It's a 29K72, all of the bits and bobs with it. Very lucky to own it, I know, but the trade off with buying new would be availability to replacement parts. Not to mention that my machine is old; the SPI has suffered and I like the idea of starting fresh with a new patcher. But thanks for the advice. I can get good money for the 29K72, and it would cost a few hundred to ship. Have you come across the Techsew patchers and are they worth the price?

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

are they motorized? if so is the voltage the same?

Nope, analog. Treadle base on both.

From the post on here from our Canadian friends, it would seem leather machines are not very well supported in Canada and second hand are quite rare, but that's just based upon a few comments on the forum

Take them with you. Freight need not be expensive. My son sends heavy car parts around the world and its surprising just how cheap it can be. Buy Canadian spec motors for them when you get there. 5 mins to change them over

This is brilliant advice guys, thanks everyone very much indeed. Leading theory seems to be to ditch the treadle base and pack along my long arm with me. Sounds like a plan. I'll get my hands on a motor when I get there and from there will be unstoppable.

Any thoughts on what I should get as a workhorse machine? Do people use Adlers in North America? Can I get my hands on a Adler 69 or is that fantasy? Any other machines I should keep my eyes  open for, for light to medium weight work on a cylinder bed?

Thanks again folks

I would kept the good machines and sell the other then buy a new or good used replacement for the other. As far as machines go there are many suppliers of Chinese clones available just depends on where in Canada you are moving to. The highest access / selection / accessories to machines for brand names like Juki, Alder would probably be Ontario. As far as clones go, dealers / resellers  are a dime a dozen so buy one from a local seller in the area you are going to setup for support / parts/ repairs.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I would kept the good machines and sell the other then buy a new or good used replacement for the other. As far as machines go there are many suppliers of Chinese clones available just depends on where in Canada you are moving to. The highest access / selection / accessories to machines for brand names like Juki, Alder would probably be Ontario. As far as clones go, dealers / resellers  are a dime a dozen so buy one from a local seller in the area you are going to setup for support / parts/ repairs.

kgg

Agreed. But I have never desired to buy one of the those Chinese patchers, those things are hideous and I wouldn't trust them as a doorstop. I was of the belief that the modern remakes were vastly improved, but it's eye opening to hear that they based the modern versions off of the Chinese 29k patcher. I will stay away from the Techsew patcher then.

Edited by kskinner

Which part of the country are you moving to?

kgg

24 minutes ago, kgg said:

Which part of the country are you moving to?

kgg

Will be most likely settling in Kitchener/Waterloo area of Ontario, not far from Toronto. Subject to change but definitely Ontario!

25 minutes ago, kskinner said:

Will be most likely settling in Kitchener/Waterloo area of Ontario, not far from Toronto. Subject to change but definitely Ontario!

Welcome to Canada, and Ontario. Lots of brand name dealers and clone dealers down that end of Ontario.

kgg

Kitchener/Waterloo isn't that far from Elmira, where the Aaron Martin Mennonite harness shop is located. They use Adler machines and may be able to help you out. As for patchers, check shoe repair shops and classifieds when you get settled.

I know of at least one leather sewing machine dealer in Toronto.  Probably at least a couple in the metropolitan area.   To be clear, I’ve never dealt with them, just found their sight on the interwebs while searching for a Lucris press.  

Good luck on the move. 
http://www.tools4leather.com/12_used_machines_available.htm

18 hours ago, kgg said:

Welcome to Canada, and Ontario. Lots of brand name dealers and clone dealers down that end of Ontario.

kgg

Great to hear, thanks for that. Should be able to find something that'll work for me. Appreciate the welcome!

17 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Kitchener/Waterloo isn't that far from Elmira, where the Aaron Martin Mennonite harness shop is located. They use Adler machines and may be able to help you out. As for patchers, check shoe repair shops and classifieds when you get settled.

That sounds like a brilliant lead, I should definitely get in touch with them. They are amazing people - one summer when I visited Canada, they very kindly showed me around one of their sawmills - all of these amazing home made machines processing lumber. Just the nicest most welcoming guys. All of them puffing away on pipes! Great people

Edited by kskinner

5 hours ago, Joon1911 said:

I know of at least one leather sewing machine dealer in Toronto.  Probably at least a couple in the metropolitan area.   To be clear, I’ve never dealt with them, just found their sight on the interwebs while searching for a Lucris press.  

Good luck on the move. 
http://www.tools4leather.com/12_used_machines_available.htm

Yes have come across them on my google searches. Definitely somewhere to check out. Thanks for that!

I'm in KW!  When are you arriving?  You're well set in this area, there's a Tandy in Missisauga - approx 45 mins drive from here, and several other independent leather suppliers in Toronto too.  There are a couple of tack stores very close too, Aaron Martin in Elmira, Brubackers in Wallenstein and Sprucewood in Tavistock.  For machines, there's a company called Simard in Cambridge which deals in industrial sewing machinery, they often have good used machines passing through.  Techsew is in Montreal if you're interested in clones, and there's also Reliable in Toronto.  There's also a dealer of other clone brands in Toronto, called Japan Sewing.  Very locally KW Sewing Machines is close to downtown Kitchener and is a Reliable dealer.  They also stock Groz-Beckert needles, #69 thread and will order in other items for you too.  I've never needed it, but they also offer repairs.

54 minutes ago, twotrees said:

I'm in KW!  When are you arriving?  You're well set in this area, there's a Tandy in Missisauga - approx 45 mins drive from here, and several other independent leather suppliers in Toronto too.  There are a couple of tack stores very close too, Aaron Martin in Elmira, Brubackers in Wallenstein and Sprucewood in Tavistock.  For machines, there's a company called Simard in Cambridge which deals in industrial sewing machinery, they often have good used machines passing through.  Techsew is in Montreal if you're interested in clones, and there's also Reliable in Toronto.  There's also a dealer of other clone brands in Toronto, called Japan Sewing.  Very locally KW Sewing Machines is close to downtown Kitchener and is a Reliable dealer.  They also stock Groz-Beckert needles, #69 thread and will order in other items for you too.  I've never needed it, but they also offer repairs.

Twotrees! Simard was a great suggestion, holy they look like exactly what I need! They have nice clickers too.... that may have to wait until later on in the year. Nice one, thanks for mentioning them!

I want to stay as far away from any Tandy store as possible hahaha. Have been selling their tools in the shop I work in for the last two years and am sick of that company. But thanks all the same. The tackshops are another great mention... loads of great contacts. This is brilliant - in Ireland, it's so easy to network because everyone knows everyone. You spend one week visiting people and you've pretty much met everyone worth visiting! It was so daunting thinking about networking in Canada, it's such a huge country. Thanks for making it easier. Will DEFINITELY be checking out the other shops too, need good suppliers for thread, glue, zips and other sundries

A word of warning about Simard, I've heard their mechanic/repair man is not much good. I've never used their repair service but everyone I've heard talk about them says their machines are good, the repair guy not so much. 

Feel free to get in touch when you get here!

On 1/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, Constabulary said:

Techsew patchers are 29K7x clones like most of the Chinese patchers - I think they are as good / bad as any other Chinese 29K clone.

Our 2900 series is manufactured in Taiwan which offers much better quality in this type of machine than the Chinese equivalents.

Taiwan is part of China with only 7 or 8 countries in the world recognizing it as independent. Neither Canada nor USA do.

kgg

Oh Janey Mac, getting political! :P let's leave it there and thank you to both for your replies on what is already a several-day-old topic. Techsew Ron I will seriously consider dropping you a line when I arrive, and kgg and Twotrees and I have taken all of your advice to heart and thank you both for taking the time to reply. Will be in touch when I'm set up! Any other glovers on this forum? Among my other work (bags, small goods and shoes) I do also hand stitch gloves and was wondering if there is anyone else here who does that?

Wow that's some thread resurrection!!

And only loosley off topic....